China’s China Railway Rolling Stock Corporation (CRRC) has won a Rs. 851 crore contract to supply 69 coaches for Nagpur Metro’s 38.215 km Phase 1 project. The Nagpur Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (NMRCL) had invited bids for the rolling stock contract in January 2016 and plans to run 23 trains across 2 corridors – with 11 on the 19.658 km north-south line between Automotive Square & Khapri and 12 on the 18.557 km east west line between Lokmanya Nagar – Prajapati Nagar.
The trains will be 2.90 meters wide and initially run in a 3 coach configuration (Driving Motor Car + Trailer Car + Driving Motor Car) which can later be extended to 6 coaches when required. As per the project’s DPR, the 3-coach trains are expected to have a capacity of 450 passengers under normal conditions and 764 under crush conditions.
As per NMRC’s MD Brijesh Dixit:
The coaches will be delivered over 182 weeks. Six coaches are required urgently for the trial run. They propose to deliver them in 78 weeks, but we have requested them to do it earlier.
This is CRRC’s 6th project in India. Recap:
• Mumbai – Supplied 16 train-sets of 4 coaches for the 11.4 km Versova – Ghatkopar line
• Gurgaon – Supplied 12 train-sets of 3 coaches for the 12.1 km DLF Cybercity – Sector 55-56 line
• Navi Mumbai – Deliveries yet to begin for an unspecified number of trains for the 11.10 km CBD Belapur – Pendhar line (design not yet revealed)
• Kolkata – Deliveries yet to begin for 14 trains of 8 coaches for the existing and new lines (view recently unveiled design)
• Noida – Deliveries yet to begin for 19 trains of 4 coaches for the Sector 71 – Gr. Noida line (design not yet revealed)
Apparently CRRC’s bid was challenged by other bidders on technical grounds, but their plea was rejected by the High Court in favor of CRRC. A formal agreement with the NMRC is expected to be signed in the coming weeks.
For more updates on Nagpur’s Metro, check out the Nagpur section!