Chennai – Salem Expressway – Information & Status
277.30 km Chennai – Salem Expressway project is a proposed 6-lane access-controlled road with a route alignment through Tambaram & Harur within Tamil Nadu.
This greenfield project under Bharatmala Pariyojana (BMP) program was originally envisioned to be 8-laned with an estimated cost of Rs. 10,000 crore, but has since been revised down to 6 lanes.
As of February 2022, the Chennai Salem corridor is in pre-construction stage with studies being undertaken like Social Impact Assessment (SIA) to analyse and create proper alternatives as per guidelines of the Supreme Court of India. Land acquisition is currently underway and NHAI is currently seeking environmental clearance and approvals from Forest Department.
- Total Estimated Cost: Rs. 9,681 (approx.)
- Completion Deadline: December 2025
- Project’s Total Length: 277.30 km
- Lanes: 6 lanes
- Owner: National Highway Authority of India (NHAI)
- Status: Pending Approvals, Land Acquisition Underway
- Project Model: Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
An official route map (PDF) will be added here when available
Tender Status & Contracts
This section will be updated as construction tender notices get published by NHAI
|Package (Length) & Section||Contractor / Status|
|Tender Notices Pending||TBD|
Page last updated: June 19, 2023. Have a question or spot an error? Let me know here.