Kanpur Metro – Information, Route Maps, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Kanpur Metro is an urban Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) under construction with 2 lines & 30 stations in the city of Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh by the Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Limited (UPMRCL).
Kanpur Metro Phase 1’s Detailed Project Report (DPR) with 32.385 km of routes was prepared by RITES, approved by the state cabinet in March 2016 and by the Central Government’s Cabinet in February 2019. The project’s foundation stone was laid by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 8, 2019.
The Phase 1 project will be financed mainly through equity from Government of India and Government of Uttar Pradesh on 50:50 basis, and through a EUR 650 million loan from the European Investment Bank (EIB) which was approved on July 15 2020.
Bids for the construction of Line-1’s 8.728 km Priority Corridor (IIT Kanpur – Moti Jheel) were invited in February 2018 and again in July 2019. Construction work commenced with piling works on November 15, 2019.
- Top Speed: 80 kmph
- Average Speed: 34 kmph
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
- Electrification: 25 kV, 50 Hz AC OHE
- Signalling: Communications-based train control (CBTC)
Under Construction: 8.728 km | Approved: 23.657 km
- Estimated Cost: Rs.11,076.48 Cr
- Estimated Ridership: 6.61 lakh/day (2024)
- Estimated Coaches: 117
Kanpur Metro Phase 1 Lines
Line-1: IIT Kanpur – Naubasta
- Length: 23.785 km
- Type: Elevated (15.164 km) & Underground (8.621 km)
- Depot: Polytechnic College
- Number of Stations: 22
- Station Names: IIT Kanpur, Kalyanpur Railway Station, SPM Hospital, CSJM University, Gurudev Chauraha, Geeta Nagar, Rawatpur Railway Station, Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital, Moti Jheel, Chunniganj, Naveen Market, Bada Chauraha, Nayaganj, Birhana Road, Norona Crossing Sagar Market, Kanpur Central railway station, ISBT Jhakarkatti, Old Transport Nagar, Kidwai Nagar North, Kidwai Nagar South, Yashoda Nagar, Baudh Nagar and Naubasta
Line-2: Chandra Shekhar Azad University – Jaurali
- Length: 8.6 km
- Type: Elevated
- Depot: Agriculture University
- Number of Stations: 9
- Station Names: CSA University, GSVM Medical College, Rawatpur Railway Station, Kakadeo, Vijay Nagar, Dada Nagar, Barra-7, Barra-8 and Jarauli
Kanpur Metro Phase 1 Route Map
Note: Official line colors have not yet been announced. Location of stations and alignment displayed in the map are tentative.
An official PDF route map of Kanpur Metro Phase 1 will be added here when available.
Project Overview Video
Kanpur Metro Fares (Ticket Prices)
Kanpur Metro’s fare structure, prices and rules have not been announced yet. That will be finalized closer to the start of commercial operations. UPMRCL plans to use the latest technologies for its automatic fare collection (AFC) system to allow QR codes and Near Field Communication (NFC) phones to utilize the system.
Kanpur Metro Tenders
Latest Kanpur Metro tender notices can be viewed on the UPMRCL’s website. News on these notices, their bidders, awarded tenders and contracts are covered in further detail on the news & construction page.
Kanpur Metro Contractors List
|General Consultant||TYPSA-Italferr JV|
|Detailed Design Consultant (Line-1)||SYSTRA – SYSTRA MVA Consulting (India) Pvt. Ltd. JV|
|KNPCC-02(R1): IIT – Moti Jheel
(8.728 km elevated viaduct, 9 stations)
|KNPCC-03: Line-1’s Govt Polytechnic Depot & Workshop||K.S.M. Bashir Mohammad & Sons|
|KNPAGRS-01: Supply of 201 standard gauge cars (rolling stock) including Train Control & Signalling System for Agra & Kanpur metro projects||Bombardier Transportation|
|KNPCC-05: 3.7 km Tunnels and 4 stations at Chunniganj, Naveen Market, Bada Chauraha and Nayaganj||Bids Invited in July 2020|
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates
Page last updated: July 25, 2020. Spot an issue? Let me know here.