Lucknow Metro – Information, Route Maps, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Lucknow Metro is an urban Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) operational in Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh by the Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Limited (UPMRCL).
Phase 1 of the project consists of 2 lines totaling 33.976 km. Out of this, Line-1 (22.88 km) is operational while Line-2 is in the planning stage.
Construction for Line-1’s 8.5 km elevated ‘Priority Corridor’ section from Transport Nagar to Lucknow Railway Station (Charbagh) commenced on September 27, 2014. Trial runs (testing) started in December 2016 and the line was inaugurated on September 5, 2017 with commercial operations starting the next day. Southern and northern extensions of the line to the airport and Munshipulia opened to the public on March 8, 2019.
In 2017, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation assisted with preparing the master plan for Lucknow Metro with 6 new routes totaling 74 km. Those lines have been mentioned below under Phase 2 and Phase 3.
- Top Speed: 80 kmph
- Average Speed: 34 kmph
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
- Electrification: 25 kV, 50 Hz AC OHE
- Signalling: Communication-based Train Control (CBTC)
Operational: 22.878 km | Under Construction: 0 km | Approved: 0 km | Proposed: 85 km
- Daily Ridership: 67,000/day (February 2020)
- Rolling Stock: 80 coaches (20 train-sets x 4) supplied by Alstom
Lucknow Metro Phase 1A Route (Operational)
Line-1: CCS Airport – Munshi Pulia (22.878 km)
- Length: 22.878 km
- Type: Elevated (19.438 km with 19 stations) and Underground (4 km with 4 stations)
- Depot: Transport Nagar
- Number of Stations: 23
- Station Names: CCS Airport (underground), Amausi, Transport Nagar, Krishna Nagar, Singar Nagar, Alambagh, Alambagh Bus Station, Mawaiya, Durgapuri, Charbagh Railway Station, Hussain Ganj (underground), Sachivalaya (underground), Hazrat Ganj (underground), K.D. Singh Stadium, Vishwavidyalaya, IT Chauraha, Badshahbagh, Badshah Nagar, Lekhraj Market, Ramsagar Mishra Nagar, Indira Nagar & Munshi Pulia
Lucknow Metro Proposed Routes
Line-2: Lucknow Railway Station (Charbagh) – Vasant Kunj
- Length: 11.098 km
- Status: UPMRC is revising Detailed Project Report
- Estimated Daily Ridership: 60,000/day
- Elevated: 4.548 km with 5 stations (GB Marg – Thakurganj)
- Underground: 6.55 km with 7 stations (Balaganj – Vasant Kunj)
- Number of Stations: 12
- Station Names: Gautam Buddha Marg, Aminabad, Pandeyganj, City Railway Station, Medical College Chauraha, Nawazganj, Thakurganj, Balaganj, Sarfrazganj, Musabagh, Vasant Kunj
Lucknow Metro Phase 2 Routes (Proposed)
This phase designed by DMRC & UPMRCL includes 3 corridors and involves the construction of 1 new lines and 2 line extensions. Note: final plan can be expected to change by the time construction begins.
- Extn of Line-1: Munshi Pulia – Jankipuram
- Extn of Line-2: Charbagh – SGPGI (Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences)
- New Line-3: IIM Lucknow – Rajajipuram
Lucknow Metro Phase 3 Routes (Proposed)
This phase designed by DMRC & UPMRCL includes the construction of 1 new line (Line-4) with 3 sections. Note: final plan can be expected to change by the time construction begins.
- Indiranagar – CG City South
- Airport – Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ekana Cricket Stadium
- Secretariat – CG City South
Lucknow Metro Line-1 Route Map (Operational)
The embedded map below shows the exact location of all stations and can be zoomed into!
An official PDF route map of Lucknow Metro will be added here when available.
Lucknow Metro Future Network: Phase 1 (2027)
Key: Line-1 (Operational) | Line-2 (Proposed)
Project Overview Video (Short)
UPMRCL’s Corporate Video (Long)
Lucknow Metro Fare Chart (Prices)
• Single journey fares on Lucknow Metro Line-1 are dependent on the number of stations traveled. Paper tickets are issued with QR codes.
|1 Station||Rs. 10|
|2 Stations||Rs. 15|
|3-6 Stations||Rs. 20|
|7-9 Stations||Rs. 30|
|10-13 Stations||Rs. 40|
|14-17 Stations||Rs. 50|
|Above 18 Stations||Rs. 60|
• GoSmart Card – This prepaid card best for frequent travelers and offers a 10% discount over single fare journey fares. This card can be topped-up at each station’s ticket office, ticket vending machine (TVM) or Recharge Card Terminal. It can also be recharged from LMRC’s website or via netbanking.
• Tourist Card – Available in denominations of Rs. 100 (unlimited travel for 1 day) and Rs. 250 (unlimited travel for 3 days). A refundable security deposit of Rs 100 is payable at the time of purchase.
Lucknow Metro Tenders
Latest Lucknow Metro tender notices can be viewed on UPMRCL’s website. News on these notices, their bidders, awarded tenders and contracts are covered in further detail on the news & construction page
Lucknow Metro Contractors
|LKGC-01||General Consultancy Services||Ayesa-KRNA-Aarvee-Geodata|
|LKDD-01||Detailed Design Consultant||Systra Consulting|
|LKRS-01||80 Coaches (Rolling Stock) & Signalling System||Alstom India|
|LKS-01||Automatic Fare Collection System||Datamatics & Mikroelektronika|
|LKS-02||Telecommunications||Larsen & Toubro|
|LKCC-01||Transport Nagar – Charbagh
(Elevated: 8.48 km +
1 km extn to Amausi)
|Larsen & Toubro|
|LKCC-02||Mawaiya Bridge over IR lines||SP Singla|
|LKCC-03||Transport Nagar Depot||Sam India Builtwell|
|LKCC-06||Charbagh – KD Singh Babu
(Underground – 3.44 km)
|Tata – Gülermak|
|LKCC-07||KD Singh Babu – Munshipulia
(Elevated – 8.63 km)
|Larsen & Toubro|
|LKCC-05||Amausi – CCS Airport
(Elevated & Underground – 2 km)
|Sam India Builtwell|
Lucknow Metro History (Key Dates)
• 5 September 2017: Transport Nagar – Charbagh (Red Line) – 8.5 km
• 8 March 2019: Transport Nagar – Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport (Red Line) – 2.67 km
• 8 March 2019: Charbagh – Munshipulia (Red Line) – 12.6 km
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Page last updated: December 23, 2022. Have a question or spot an error? Let me know here.