Visakhapatnam Metro – Information, Route Map, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Menu: Latest News & Construction Updates | Overview
Visakhapatnam (Vizag) Light Metro is an urban Light Rail Transit (LRT) system with 3 lines & 31 stations proposed to be built in Visakhapatnam (Vizag), Andhra Pradesh by the Andhra Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation (APMRC) earlier known as Amaravati Metro Rail Corporation (AMRC).
Its 42.54 km Phase 1’s Detailed Project Report (DPR) with 3 elevated lines was originally prepared by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) who was also assigned to execute the project in September 2015.
In 2017, the project was put on hold due to its high cost and low ridership projections which were not in line with the Government of India’s new Metro Rail Policy. In addition, the AP government had given priority to Vijayawada’s metro.
In December 2019, the AP government decided to appoint a new consultant to prepare the project’s new/revised Detailed Project Report for a 79.91 km Phase 1 for implementation under the public–private partnership (PPP) model with an estimated cost of Rs. 8,300 cr. In March 2020, Urban Mass Transit Company Limited (UMTC) was announced by AMRC as the winner to prepare Vizag Metro’s new DPR.
Operational: 0 km | Under Construction: 0 km | Proposed: 79.91 km
Visakhapatnam Metro Phase 1 Routes
Line-1: Gajuwaka – Kommadi
- Length: 30.38 km
- Type: Elevated
- Number of Stations: 18
- Station Names: Kommadi Junction, Hanumanthawaka Junction, Maddilapalem, Gurudwara Junction, Akkayyapalem, Kancharapalem, Muralinagar, Government Polytechnic College, Thatichetlapalem, Kancharapalem, Murali Nagar, GSI, NAD Junction, Visakhapatnam International Airport, Sheela Nagar, BHPV, Auto Nagar and Gajuwaka.
- Note: This line is planned to be extended to Vizag Steel Plant by 3.85 kms
Line-2: Gurudwara Junction – Old Post Office
- Length: 5.25 km
- Type: Elevated
- Number of Stations: 6
- Station Names: BVK College, RTC Complex, Dabagardens, Saraswati Circle, Poorna Market and Old Post Office.
Line-3: Thatichetlapalem – Chinna Waltair (Chinavalteru / RK Beach)
- Length: 6.91 km
- Type: Elevated
- Number of Stations: 7
- Station Names: New Railway Colony, Railway Station, Allipuram Junction, RTC Complex, Siripuram Junction, Andhra University and Chinna Waltair.
Other Proposed Lines
• Line-4: Law College Junction – Marikivalasa (8.21 km)
• Line-5: Kommadi – Bhogapuram Airport (25.3 km)
Visakhapatnam Metro Route Map (Phase 1)
Official line colors have not been assigned yet. The embedded map below can be zoomed into!
An official PDF route map of Vizag Metro’s Phase 1 & master plan will be added here when available.
Visakhapatnam Metro Fares (Ticket Prices)
Vizag Metro’s fare structure, prices, rules and ticket types hasn’t been announced yet. That will be finalized closer to the start of commercial operations.
Visakhapatnam Metro Tenders
Latest Vizag Metro tender notices can be viewed on AMRC’s website. No tenders for its pre-construction work have been invited yet. News on these notices, their bidders and contracts will be covered in further detail on the news & construction page.
Visakhapatnam Metro Contractors
|79.91 km new Detailed Project Report (DPR)’s Preparer||Urban Mass Transit Company (UMTC)|
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Menu: News & Construction Updates | Overview
Page last updated: April 30, 2021. Have a question or spot an error? Let me know here.