Surat Metro – Information, Route Maps, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Surat Metro with 2 lines and 37 stations is an approved mass rapid transit system (MRTS) being built to serve Surat, the second largest city in Gujarat, by the Gujarat Metro Rail Corporation (GMRC).
Surat Metro Phase 1 project’s Detailed Project Report (DPR) with a network length of 40.35 km was approved by the Gujarat state government in January 2017 and by the Central Government’s cabinet in March 2019.
The project will be financed mainly through equity from Government of India and Government of Gujarat on 50:50 basis, and through loans from AFD (€250 million) and KfW (undisclosed) with whom GMRC has been in talks with since 2018.
Construction work is expected to commence in January 2021.
- Top Speed: 80 kmph
- Average Speed: 34 kmph
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
- Electrification: 750 V DC Third Rail
- Signalling: Communications-based Train Control (CBTC)
Operational: 0 km | Under Construction: 0 km | Approved: 40.35 km
- Estimated Cost: Rs. 12,020.32 crore
- Estimated Daily Ridership: 2.20 lakh/day (2027)
Surat Metro Phase 1 Route Information
Line-1: Sarthana – Dream City
- Length: 21.61 km
- Type: Elevated (15.14 km) & Underground (6.47 km)
- Depot: Dream City (system’s operations control centre OCC to also be built here)
- Number of Stations: 20
- Station Names: Sarthana, Nature Park, Varaccha Chopati Garden, Shri Swaminarayan Mandir Kalakunj, Kapodra, Labheshwar Chowk, Central Warehouse, Surat Railway Station, Maskati Hospital, Chowk Bazar, Gandhi Baug, Kadarsha Ni Nal, Majura Gate (interchange), Rupali Canal, Althan Tenament, Althan Gam, VIP Road, Woman ITI, Bhimrad, Convention Center, Dream City
Line-2: Bhesan – Saroli
- Length: 18.74 km
- Type: Elevated
- Depot: Bhesan
- Number of Stations: 18
- Station Names: Bhesan, Botanical Garden, Ugat Vaarigruh, Palanpur Road, LP Savani School, Performing Art Centre, Adajan Gam, Aquarium, Badri Narayan Temple, Athwa Chopati, Majura Gate (interchange), Udhna Dawaja, Kamela Darwaja, Anjana Farm, Model Town, Magob, Bharat Cancer Hospital, Saroli
Surat Metro Phase 1 Route Map
Official line colors have not yet been announced. Location of stations and alignment shown in map below are tentative. The embedded map can be zoomed into!
An official PDF route map of Surat Metro’s Phase 1 will be added here when available.
Surat Metro Fares (Ticket Prices)
Surat Metro’s fare structure, prices and rules have not been announced yet. That will be finalized closer to the start of commercial operations. GMRC plans to use the latest technologies for its automatic fare collection (AFC) system to allow QR codes and Near Field Communication (NFC) phones to utilize the system.
Surat Metro Tenders
Surat Metro Contractors
|Phase 1 General Engineering Consultant (GEC)||6 EOI applications received in September 2020|
|DDC: Detailed Design Consultancy (DDC) for Phase 1’s elevated viaduct, stations, transition spans & depot at Bhesan. Line-1: Sarthana to UG Ramp and Line-2: Bhesan to Saroli||Bidding Underway|
|CS1: Construction from Kadarsha Ni Nal to Dream City (11.6 km viaduct & 10 stations)||Technical Bid Evaluation Underway (6 Bids Received)|
|CS2: Construction from Kapodra Ramp to Surat Railway Station (3.46 km underground section – tunnels with 3 stations)||Bidding Underway|
|CS3: Construction from Surat Railway Station to Chowk Bazar Ramp (3.56 km underground section – tunnels with 3 stations)||Bidding Underway|
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Page last updated: September 28, 2020. Spot an issue? Let me know here.