Thane Metrolite – Information, Route Map, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Thane Metrolite project with 1 circular line and 22 stations is a 29 km light rail transit (LRT) system proposed to be built in Thane, Maharashtra by Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (Maha Metro).
Thane’s mass transit project was initially planned as a regular (heavy) metro line, had its foundation stone laid by the Prime Minister in December 2018, scrapped in 2019 due to cost concerns, and then resurrected as a metrolite or light rail transit (LRT) system in early 2020.
The system will be designed per the Government of India’s July 2019 metrolite specifications, and will be cheaper to construct (approx Rs. 100 crore/km) and maintain due to its smaller size with lesser capacity compared to regular heavy-rail metro systems.
Metrolite trains will mostly run at-grade (road level) on dedicated / fenced-in corridors and act as an excellent feeder to the Mumbai Metro (Line-4 Green Line & Line-5 Orange Line) and local suburban train system.
Its standard gauge system will be designed with trains operating at a top speed of 60 km per hour. Out of 22 stations, 2 will be underground while the rest will be elevated. A train maintenance depot is planned to built at Wadavli.
Thane Metrolite’s Detailed Project Report was approved by the Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) in December 2020 and is currently awaiting the state government’s approval.
Operational: 0 km | Under Construction: 0 km | Approved: 0 km | Proposed: 29 km
- Total Estimated Cost: Rs. 7165 crore
- Thane Metrolite Deadline: 2025
- My Completion Estimate: 2027 (no sooner, if approved by state government in 2021)
Metrolite System Specifications
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
- Electrification: 25 kV, 50 Hz AC OHE
- Signalling: Communications-based train control (CBTC)
- Total Capacity: 300-425 passengers (3 coach train)
Thane Metrolite Route Information
- Length: 29 km
- Type: Elevated (primarily) and Underground (2-3 km)
- Number of Stops/Stations: 22
- Station Names: Raila Devi, Wagle Circle, Lokmanya Nagar Bus Depot, Shivaji Nagar, Neelkanth Terminal, Gandhi Nagar, Kolshet Industrial Area, Manpada, Dongripada, Vijaynagar, Waghbil, Waterfront, Patlipada, Azad Nagar Bus Stop, Manorma Nagar, Balkum Naka, Balkum Pada, Rabodi, Shivaji Chowk, Thane Junction (underground) and New Thane (underground).
Thane Metrolite Route Map (Master Plan)
Official line alignment and color have not been announced.
An official PDF route map of Thane Metrolite’s system will be added here when available.
Thane Metrolite Fares
Thane Metrolite’s fare structure, prices and rules have not been announced yet. That will be finalized closer to the start of commercial operations. Ticketing will likely be integrated with Mumbai’s Metro network.
Thane Metrolite Tenders
Thane Metrolite Contractors
|General Consultant||AECOM – Systra MVA Consulting – Consulting Engineers Group was sole bidder|
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Page last updated: March 9, 2021. Spot an issue? Let me know here.