Vijayawada Metro – Information, Route Map, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Menu: Latest News & Construction Updates | Overview
Vijayawada Light Metro is a Light Rail Transit (LRT) system with 2 lines and 51 stations proposed to be built in the city of Vijayawada and Amaravati, the new capital of Andhra Pradesh, by the Andhra Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation (APMRC) earlier known as Amaravati Metro Rail Corporation (AMRC).
The project was originally conceived as a heavy-rail based mass rapid transit system (MRTS), and the Andhra Pradesh government signed an agreement with the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) to execute its 26.03 km Phase 1 project in September 2015.
The DMRC invited civil construction bids for both lines, but cancelled procurement due to its high cost and low ridership projections which were not in line with the Government of India’s new Metro Rail Policy
In 2017-18, the state government opted for a Light Rail Transit (LRT / MetroLite). It now plans to connect Gannavaram – Vijayawada – Amravati in 3 phases with a 66.2 km network at an estimated cost of Rs. 15,000 crore, based on a recommendation by the SYSTRA – RITES – GOPA JV which submitted its revised Detailed Project Report (DPR) in April 2019.
The project is currently awaiting the state government’s approval.
Operational: 0 km | Under Construction: 0 km | Proposed: 66.2 km
Vijayawada Metro Phase 1A Route
Line-2: Pandit Nehru Bus Station (PNBS) – Vijayawada Airport at Gannavaram
- Length: 25.90 km
- Type: Elevated (23 km) & underground (2.90 km)
- Number of Stations: 22
- Station Names: 13 of those are Pandit Nehru Bus Station, Railway Station South, Railway Station East, Besant Road, Sri Sathya Sai Mandir, SRR Government College, City Cancer Hospital, Gunadala, Ramavarappadu Ring, Prasadampadu, Ramakrishna Weigh Bridge, Enikepadu, Nidamanuru. Additional station names will be added when known.
Vijayawada Metro Phase 1B Route
Line-1: Pandit Nehru Bus Station (PNBS) – Penamaluru
- Length: 12.76 km
- Type: Elevated
- Number of Stations: 12
- Station Names: Pandit Nehru Bus Station, Museum, IG Stadium, DV Manor, Benz Circle, Autonagar Gate, Ravindra Bharati School, Gayatri JR Colege, Law College, Tadigadapa, Poranki and Penamaluru
Vijayawada Metro Phase 2 Route
Line-2: Pandit Nehru Bus Station (PNBS) – Amravati Reservoir
- Length: 27.80 km
- Type: Elevated (4.7 km) & Underground (23.1 km)
- Number of Stations: 18
- Station Names: List of stations hasn’t been announced. This line will connect Krishna Canal Railway Junction, Undavalli, Uddandrayuni Palem and terminate at Amravati Reservoir
Vijayawada Metro Route Map (Master Plan)
Key: Phase 1A | Phase 1B | Phase 2
Map below shows the rough/tentative alignment of both lines and can be zoomed into!
An official PDF route map of Vijayawada Metro’s master plan will be added here when available.
Vijayawada Metro Fares (Ticket Prices)
Vijayawada Metro’s fare structure, prices, rules and ticket types haven’t been announced yet. That will be finalized closer to the start of commercial operations.
Vijayawada Metro Tenders
Latest Vijayawada Metro tender notices can be viewed on AMRC’s website. No tenders for its pre-construction work have been invited yet. News on these notices, their bidders and contracts will be covered in further detail on the news & construction page.
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Menu: News & Construction Updates | Overview
Page last updated: April 30, 2021. Have a question or spot an error? Let me know here.