Ahmedabad Metro – Information, Route Maps, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Ahmedabad Metro is an urban Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) being built by Gujarat Metro Rail Corporation (GMRC) Limited, formerly known as ‘Metro-Link Express for Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad’ (MEGA), to serve Ahmedabad – Gujarat’s biggest city and its capital, Gandhinagar, in the future.
Construction work on Ahmedabad Metro’s Phase 1 with routes of 39.259 km started in 2015 and is expected to be completed in 2024.
In February 2016, the Gujarat state government allocated a sum of Rs 2 crore in its 2016-17 state budget and appointed the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) to prepare Phase 2’s Detailed Project Report (DPR). As per the draft DPR, the 18.522 km Line-2 is planned to be extended northward to connect Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar and will feature 1 branch/spur lines to GIFT City – view more information here.
In February 2019, India’s Union Cabinet approved the construction of a 28.254 km Phase 2 with 2 corridors – a northward extension of Line-2 with a short spur. Its foundation stone was laid by the Prime Minister on March 4, 2019.
- Top Speed: 80 kmph
- Average Speed: 33 kmph
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
- Electrification: 750 V DC Third Rail
- Signalling: Communication-based Train Control (CBTC)
Operational: 6 km (Phase 1) | Under Construction: 39.74 km (Phase 1 , Phase) | Approved: 21.776 km (Phase 2)
- Daily Ridership: 35,000/day (February 2020)
- Rolling Stock: 96 coaches (32 train-sets x 3) supplied by Hyundai Rotem
Operational Lines (Phase 1)
- Line-1 – Blue Line: Vastral Gaam – Apparel Park (6 km, 6 stations)
- Line-1 – Blue Line: Apparel Park – Thaltej Gam (14.737 km, 14 stations)
- Line-2 – Red Line: Motera – APMC (18.522 km, 16 stations)
- Line-2 – Red Line: GNLU – Gandhinagar Sector 1 (6.478 km, 5 stations)
Note: Blue Line is also known as East-West Line. Red Line is also known as North – South Line.
Approved Lines (Phase 2)
- Line-2 – Red Line: Motera Stadium – GNLU and Gandhinagar Sector 1 to Mahatma Mandir (16.36 km, 15 stations)
- Line-3 (Eastern Spur of Line-2): Gujarat National Law University (GNLU) – GIFT City (5.416 km, 2 stations)
Construction work first started on the 6 km Apparel Park to Vastral Gam section of the Blue Line in 2015, which opened to the public on March 6, 2019. MEGA completed inviting construction bids for all other pending sections in July 2016 and awarded the final civil contract in February 2017. These under construction sections are expected to open one after the other between 2020-2023.
Ahmedabad Metro Route Map (Operational)
The embedded maps below shows the exact location of all stations and can be zoomed into!
Ahmedabad Metro Phase 1 Route Map (Operational & Under Construction)
An official PDF route map of Ahmedabad Metro will be added here when available.
Future Network Route Map: Phase 1 & 2 – By Line
Key for map below: Line 1 | Line 2 | Line 3
Future Network Route Map: Phase 1 & 2 – By Phase
Key for map below: Phase 1 (operational & under construction)| Phase 2 (approved)
Project Overview Video
Ahmedabad Metro Fares (Ticket Prices)
Ahmedabad Metro’s fare chart has not been published by GMRC online. On the 6 km operational line (Apparel Park – Vastral Gam), a ride on the first 2.5 km costs Rs. 5 and thereafter the fare is Rs. 10. End to end rides on the entire line (Thaltej Gam – Vastral Gam) are planned to cost Rs. 25.
Ahmedabad Metro Tenders
Latest Ahmedabad Metro (GMRC) tenders can be viewed on the GMRC’s website. News on these notices, their bidders, awarded tenders and contracts are covered in further detail on the news & construction page.
Ahmedabad Metro History (Key Dates)
• 6 March 2019: Vastral – Apparel Park (Blue Line) – 6 km
…more to be added in 2022! Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Page last updated: April 10, 2021. Spot an issue? Let me know here.