Ahmedabad Metro – Information, Route Maps, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Ahmedabad Metro is an urban Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) being built by Gujarat Metro Rail Corporation (GMRC) Limited, formerly known as ‘Metro-Link Express for Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad’ (MEGA), to serve Ahmedabad – Gujarat’s biggest city and its capital, Gandhinagar, in the future.
Construction work on Ahmedabad Metro’s Phase 1 with routes of 39.259 km started in 2015. A 6 km section of Line-1 between Apparel Park and Vastral Gam was inaugurated in March 2019. The rest of Phase 1 barring the 1.4 km Thaltej – Thaltej Gam section was inaugurated on September 30, 2022.
In February 2016, the Gujarat state government allocated a sum of Rs 2 crore in its 2016-17 state budget and appointed the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) to prepare Phase 2’s Detailed Project Report (DPR).
As per the draft DPR, the 18.522 km Line-2 is planned to be extended northward to connect Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar and will feature 1 branch/spur lines to GIFT City – view more information here.
In February 2019, India’s Union Cabinet approved the construction of a 28.254 km Phase 2 with 2 corridors – a northward extension of Line-2 with a short spur. Its foundation stone was laid by the Prime Minister on March 4, 2019.
In addition, a roughly 5 km line connecting Koteshwar Road – Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport (spur of Red Line) is proposed to be included in Phase 2 plans.
- Top Speed: 80 kmph
- Average Speed: 33 kmph
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
- Electrification: 750 V DC Third Rail
- Signalling: Communication-based Train Control (CBTC)
Operational: 37.86 km (Phase 1) | Under Construction: 29.65 km (Phase 1, Phase 2) | Proposed: 5 km
- Daily Ridership: 90,000/day (March 2023)
- Rolling Stock: 96 coaches (32 train-sets x 3) supplied by Hyundai Rotem
Operational Lines (Phase 1)
- Line-1 – Blue Line: Vastral Gam – Thaltej (19.38 km, 16 stations)
- Line-2 – Red Line: Motera – APMC (18.522 km, 16 stations)
- Line-1 – Blue Line: Thaltej – Thaltej Gam (1.4 km, 1 station)
- Line-2 – Red Line: Motera – GNLU – Mahatma Mandir (22.01 km, 13 stations)
- Line-3 (Eastern Spur of Line-2): Gujarat National Law University (GNLU) – GIFT City (5.416 km, 2 stations)
Note: Blue Line is also known as East-West Line. Red Line is also known as North – South Line.
- Line-4 (Eastern Spur of Line-2): Koteshwar Road – Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport (SVPIA) (5 km, unknown number of stations)
Ahmedabad Metro Phase 1 Route Map (Operational & Under Construction)
The embedded maps below shows the exact location of all stations and can be zoomed into! Note: 1.4 km Thaltej Gam – Thaltej is under construction.
An official PDF route map of Ahmedabad Metro will be added here when available.
Future Network Route Map: Phase 1 & 2 – By Line
Key for map below: Line 1 | Line 2 | Line 3 | Line 4
Future Network Route Map: Phase 1 & 2 – By Phase
Key for map below: Phase 1 (Operational & Under Construction)| Phase 2 (Under Construction) | Phase 2 (Proposed)
Project Overview Video
Ahmedabad Metro Fares (Ticket Prices)
Ahmedabad Metro’s fare chart has not been published by GMRC online. On the 6 km operational line (Apparel Park – Vastral Gam), a ride on the first 2.5 km costs Rs. 5 and thereafter the fare is Rs. 10. End to end rides on the entire line (Thaltej Gam – Vastral Gam) are planned to cost Rs. 25.
Ahmedabad Metro Tenders
Latest Ahmedabad Metro (GMRC) tenders can be viewed on the GMRC’s website. News on these notices, their bidders, awarded tenders and contracts are covered in further detail on the news & construction page.
Ahmedabad Metro History (Key Dates)
• 6 March 2019: Vastral – Apparel Park (Blue Line) – 6 km
• 30 September 2022: Apparel Park – Thaltej (Blue Line) – 13.34 km
• 30 September 2022: APMC – Motera (Red Line) – 18.52 km
…more to be added in 2023! Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Page last updated: October 18, 2023. Have a question or spot an issue? Let me know here.