Pune Metro – Information, Route Map, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Pune Metro is an urban Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) with 3 lines under construction in the city of Pune, Maharashtra by Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (Maha-Metro) and Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority (PMRDA).
31.254 km Pune Metro Phase 1 project’s Detailed Project Report (DPR) with 2 metro lines and 29 stations was prepared & submitted by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation in July 2009, revised in January 2013, August 2014, and finally once again in November 2015 to reflect current prices.
Although the State Government approved the project in 2012, it had run into red tape, politics and opposition from local NGOs & activists over its mostly elevated nature. The project received a final approval from the Union Government’s Cabinet on December 7, 2016.
Commercial operations on 2 sections of Phase 1 were inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 6, 2022 – see details & images.
In addition, the Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority is developing a 3rd line, mostly elevated, connecting Hinjewadi – Civil Court on the public–private partnership (PPP) model. This is being executed by a consortium of TRIL Urban Transport Private Limited (a Tata Group Company), and Siemens Project Ventures GmbH (subsidiary of Siemens Financial Services).
Pune Metro Phase 2 project’s detailed project report (DPR) has not been prepared yet, but is expected to comprise of new corridors and extensions of existing metro lines to Katraj, Chandni Chowk, Kharadi, Hadapsar, Loni Kalbhor, Katraj, Khadakwasla, Warje.
- Top Speed: 80 kmph
- Average Speed: 34 kmph
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
- Electrification: 25 kV, 50 Hz AC OHE
- Signalling: Communications-based Train Control (CBTC)
Operational: 10.35 km | Under Construction: 44.23 km | Approved: 4.41 km | Proposed: 26.46 km
- Estimated Daily Ridership: 6 lakh (Phase 1) & 2.6 lakh (Line-3) in 2027
- Rolling Stock: 104 coaches (26 train-sets x 4) to be supplied by Titagarh-Firema for Phase 1
Pune Metro Under Construction Lines (Phase 1 + Line-3)
Line-1 (Purple Line): Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) – Swargate
- Length: 16.589 km
- Type: Elevated & Underground
- Elevated: PCMC – Range Hills Ramp: 11.570 km, 9 stations
- Underground: Range Hills Ramp – Swargate: 5.019 km, 6 stations
- Depot: Range Hills (13.27 hectares)
- Number of Stations: 14
- Station Names: PCMC, Tukaram Nagar, Bhosari, Kasarwadi, Fugewadi, Dapodi, Bopodi, Khadki, Range Hill, Shivaji Nagar, Civil Court, Budhwar Peth, Mandai, Swargate
Line-2 (Aqua Line): Vanaz – Ramwadi
- Length: 14.665 km
- Type: Elevated
- Depot: Hill View Depot at Kothrud (12 hectares)
- Number of Stations: 16
- Station Names: Vanaz, Anand Nagar, Ideal Colony, Nal Stop, Garware College, Deccan Gymkhana, Sambhaji Park, PMC, Civil Court, Mangalwar Peth, Pune Railway Station, Ruby Clinic, Bund Garden, Yerawada, Kalyani Nagar, Ramwadi
Line-3: Hinjawadi – Civil Court
- Length: 23.33 km
- Type: Elevated
- Depot: Maan Village (20 hectares)
- Number of Stations: 23
- Station Names: Megapolis Circle, Embassy Quadron Business Park, Dohler, Infosys Phase II, Wipro Phase II, Pall India, Shivaji Chowk, Hinjewadi, Wakad Chowk, Balewadi Stadium, NICMAR, Ram Nagar, Laxmi Nagar, Balewadi Phata, Baner Gaon, Baner, Krushi Anusadhan, Sakal Nagar, University, R.B.I., Agriculture College, Shivaji Nagar and Civil Court.
- Note: Official color not yet assigned; shown in red in maps below.
Pune Metro Approved Lines
Line-1 (Purple Line): Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) – Nigdi
- Length: 4.41 km
- Type: Elevated
- Number of Stations: 3
- Station Names: Chinchwad, Akurdi, Nigdi
Pune Metro Proposed Lines
Line-1 Extension (Purple Line): Swargate – Katraj
- Length: 5.464 km
- Note: The Detailed Project Report (DPR) for PCMC – Swargate Line-1’s extension to Katraj suggests a 5.464 km underground route to be built with an estimated cost of Rs 4283.72 cr. Three new stations are proposed at Pushmangal Chowk, Shankar Maharaj Mutt and Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park. These could alternately be built at Gultekadi, Saibaba Nagar and Katraj.
Line-3 Extension: Shivaji Nagar – Kadam Wakwasti
- Length: 18 km
- Note: Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is currently preparing a detailed project report (DPR) for extending the Hinjawadi – Shivaji Nagar Line-3 by 18 km to Loni Railway Station (Kadam Wasti Grampanchayat) in eastern Pune.
Line-4: Swargate – Pul Gate
- Length: 3 km
- Note: Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is currently preparing a detailed project report (DPR) for this short new line.
Pune Metro Route Map (Phase 1 & Line-3)
The embedded map below shows the location of all stations for Phase 1 (exact) and Line-3 (tentative), and can be zoomed into!
An official PDF route map of Pune Metro will be added here when available.
Pune Metro Future Route Map (2030)
Phase 1 Project Overview Video
Pune Metro Fares (Ticket Prices)
Pune Metro’s promotional fare structure, prices and rules were announced in March 2022.
Pune Metro Tenders
Latest Pune Metro (Maha-Metro) tender notices can be viewed on Maha-Metro’s website. News on these notices, their bidders, awarded tenders and contracts are covered in further detail on the news & construction page.
Pune Metro History (Key Dates)
• 6 March 2022: PCMC – Phugewadi (Purple Line) – 6 km
• 6 March 2022: Vanaz – Garware College (Aqua Line) – 4.35 km
Page last updated: June 11, 2022. Have a question or spot an error? Let me know here.