Pune Metro – Information, Route Map, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Pune Metro is an urban Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) with 3 lines under construction in the city of Pune, Maharashtra by Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (Maha-Metro) and Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority (PMRDA).
31.254 km Pune Metro Phase 1 project’s Detailed Project Report (DPR) with 2 metro lines and 29 stations was prepared & submitted by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation in July 2009, revised in January 2013, August 2014, and finally once again in November 2015 to reflect current prices.
Although the State Government approved the project in 2012, it had run into red tape, politics and opposition from local NGOs & activists over its mostly elevated nature. The project received a final approval from the Union Government’s Cabinet on December 7, 2016.
In addition, the Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority is developing a 3rd line, mostly elevated, connecting Hinjewadi – Civil Court on the public–private partnership (PPP) model.
In September 2019, PMRDA signed a 35-year concession agreement to develop the line with a consortium of TRIL Urban Transport Private Limited (a Tata Group Company), and Siemens Project Ventures GmbH (subsidiary of Siemens Financial Services).
- Top Speed: 80 kmph
- Average Speed: 34 kmph
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
- Electrification: 25 kV, 50 Hz AC OHE
- Signalling: Communications-based Train Control (CBTC)
Operational: 0 km | Under Construction: 31.254 km (Phase 1) | Approved: 23.33 km (Line-3)
- Estimated Daily Ridership: 6 lakh (Phase 1) & 2.6 lakh (Line-3) in 2027
- Rolling Stock: 104 coaches (26 train-sets x 4) to be supplied by Titagarh Wagons for Phase 1
Pune Metro Phase 1 Lines (Under Construction)
Line-1 (Purple Line): Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) – Swargate
- Length: 16.589 km
- Type: Elevated & Underground
- Elevated: PCMC – Range Hills Ramp: 11.570 km, 9 stations
- Underground: Range Hills Ramp – Swargate: 5.019 km, 6 stations
- Depot: Range Hills (13.27 hectares)
- Number of Stations: 14
- Station Names: PCMC, Tukaram Nagar, Bhosari, Kasarwadi, Fugewadi, Dapodi, Bopodi, Khadki, Range Hill, Shivaji Nagar, Civil Court, Budhwar Peth, Mandai, Swargate
Line-2 (Aqua Line): Vanaz – Ramwadi
- Length: 14.665 km
- Type: Elevated
- Depot: Kothrud (12 hectares)
- Number of Stations: 16
- Station Names: Vanaz, Anand Nagar, Ideal Colony, Nal Stop, Garware College, Deccan Gymkhana, Sambhaji Park, PMC, Civil Court, Mangalwar Peth, Pune Railway Station, Ruby Clinic, Bund Garden, Yerawada, Kalyani Nagar, Ramwadi
Pune Metro PPP Line-3 (Approved)
Line-3: Hinjawadi – Civil Court
- Length: 23.33 km
- Type: Elevated
- Depot: Maan Village (20 hectares)
- Number of Stations: 23
- Station Names: Megapolis Circle, Embassy Quadron Business Park, Dohler, Infosys Phase II, Wipro Phase II, Pall India, Shivaji Chowk, Hinjewadi, Wakad Chowk, Balewadi Stadium, NICMAR, Ram Nagar, Laxmi Nagar, Balewadi Phata, Baner Gaon, Baner, Krushi Anusadhan, Sakal Nagar, University, R.B.I., Agriculture College, Shivaji Nagar and Civil Court.
- Note: Official color not yet assigned; shown in red in maps below.
Pune Metro Proposed Lines
Line-1 Extension (Purple Line): Swargate – Katraj
- Length: 5.464 km
- Note: The Detailed Project Report (DPR) for PCMC – Swargate Line-1’s extension to Katraj suggests a 5.464 km underground route to be built with an estimated cost of Rs 4283.72 cr. Three new stations are proposed at Pushmangal Chowk, Shankar Maharaj Mutt and Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park. These could alternately be built at Gultekadi, Saibaba Nagar and Katraj.
Line-3 Extension: Shivaji Nagar – Kadam Wakwasti
- Length: 18 km
- Note: Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is currently preparing a detailed project report (DPR) for extending the Hinjawadi – Shivaji Nagar line-3 by 18 km to Kadam Wakwasti Grampanchayat in eastern Pune.
Line-4: Swargate – Pul Gate
- Length: 3 km
- Note: Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is currently preparing a detailed project report (DPR) for this short new line.
Pune Metro Route Map (Phase 1 & Line-3)
The embedded map below shows the location of all stations for Phase 1 (exact) and Line-3 (tentative), and can be zoomed into!
An official PDF route map of Pune Metro will be added here when available.
Project Overview Video
Pune Metro Fares (Ticket Prices)
Pune Metro’s fare structure, prices and rules have not been announced yet. That will be done closer to the start of operations. Maha-Metro plans to use the latest technologies for its automatic fare collection (AFC) system to allow QR codes and Near Field Communication (NFC) phones to utilize the system.
Pune Metro Tenders
Latest Pune Metro (Maha-Metro) tender notices can be viewed on Maha-Metro’s website. News on these notices, their bidders, awarded tenders and contracts are covered in further detail on the news & construction page.
Pune Metro Phase 1’s Contractors
|Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Environmental Mitigation Plan (EMP)||RITES|
|Social Impact Assessment (SIA) Study and Social Management Implementation plan, rehabilitation & resettlement (RR policy) plan||M/s Centre for Market Research & Social Development Pvt. Ltd. and M/s Manavadhikar Samajik Manch|
|Detailed Design Consultant for 9 elevated stations between PCMC – Range Hills for Line-1||AYESA Ingenieria y Arquitectura, S.A.U (Ayesa)|
|Detailed Design Consultant for 12 elevated stations between Vanaz – Ramwadi for Line-2||LKT Engineering Consultants Ltd. & Architect Hafeez Contractor|
|PCMC – Range Hills
(10.795 km viaduct’s construction for Line-1)
|Vanaz – Ramwadi
(7.150 km viaduct’s
construction for Line-2)
|PCMC – Range Hills
(9 elevated stations’ construction for Line-1)
|HCC – Al Fara’a JV|
|Vanaz – Ramwadi
(8 elevated stations’ construction for Line-2)
|HCC – Al Fara’a JV|
|P1UGC-01: Range Hills Ramp – Budhwar Peth (2.5 km tunnels and 2 stations’s construction for Line-1)||Gulermak – TPL Pune JV|
|P1UGC-02: Budhwar Peth – Swargate (1.83 km tunnels and 3 stations’ construction for Line-1)||Gulermak – TPL Pune JV|
|P1UG-04: Construction of TBM shafts at Agriculture College & Swargate, and Swargate Station||J Kumar Infraprojects|
|Civil Court – Ramwadi
(7.657 km viaduct’s construction for Line-2)
|J Kumar Infraprojects|
|25KV Flexible Overhead Catenary system (OCS / OHE) with 22/25 KV RSS/TSS for Priority Section (PCMC – Phugewadi) of Line-1||Bright Power Projects (India) Pvt. Ltd.|
|Signalling & Train Control System of Phase 1||Alstom Transport India Limited and Alstom Transport S A|
|Ramwadi – Mangalwarpeth
(7 elevated stations’ construction for Line-2)
|AFCONS – SPCPL|
|25KV Flexible & Rigid Overhead Catenary System (OCS / OHE) and sectioning posts for rest of Phase 1||Alstom Transport India Limited and Alstom Transport SA|
|Construction of maintenance depots at Range Hills & Vanaz||URC Construction (URCC) Pvt. Ltd.|
|Receiving cum auxiliary main cum traction substations including high voltage cabling from grid substation, 33 KV cable network, ASS & SCADA system||Sterling & Wilson Pvt. Ltd|
|Standard gauge track at Range Hills Depot and Reach-1 (PCMC – Range Hills)||Apurvakriti Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd|
|Standard gauge track at Vanaz Depot and Reach-2 (Vanaz – Civil Court)||Apurvakriti Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd|
|Design, supply, testing & commissioning of 104 coaches (34 train-sets of 3 coaches)||Titagarh Wagons Limited and Titagarh Firema S.p.A.|
|Elevators & Escalators – Lot 1||Johnson Lifts Private Limited|
|Elevators & Escalators – Lot 2||Schindler India Pvt Ltd and Schindler (China) Elevator Company Ltd.|
|Line-1’s Tunnel Ventilation System (TVS), TVS-SCADA, Environmental Control System (ECS), ECS and E&M SCADA, LV Power System||Sterling and Wilson Pvt. Ltd.|
|Telecommunication System||Honeywell Automation India Ltd.|
|EMV Based Open Loop Automated Fare Collection (AFC system)||HDFC Bank Limited – Asis Elektronik ve Bilisim Sistemleri A.S. – Paycraft Solutions Private Limited|
|Machinery and Plants for 2 rolling stock depots at Range Hills and Vanaz||URC – Swastik Overseas – Fabryka Obrabiarek Rafamet – Bertolotti Rail S.R.L. JV|
|Fabrication, supply and installation of signage and graphics for 9 stations (PCMC – Dapodi) on Line-1 and 4 stations (Vanaz – Garware College) on Line-2||Satin Neo Dimensions Private Limited.|
Pune Metro Line-3’s Contractors
|Transaction Adviser||Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India Private Limited|
|Geotechnical Investigations||Soiltech India Pvt. Ltd.|
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Page last updated: May 23, 2020. Spot an issue? Let me know here.