Kochi Metro – Information, Route Maps, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Kochi Metro with 1 elevated line and 21 stations is an urban Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) built to serve Kochi, the commercial capital of Kerala.
Construction for the 25.16 km Kochi Metro Phase 1 project connecting Aluva to Petta with 22 stations started in June 2013. India’s Prime Minister inaugurated the line’s first 13.2 km section between Aluva – Palarivattom on June 17, 2017. Commercial operations commenced 2 days later on June 19, 2017.
In 2014, a 1.92 km eastward extension to Tripunithura from Petta was approved to be be built as part of Phase 1A (Petta – SN Junction) and Phase 1B (SN Junction – Tripunithura) with 3 new elevated stations.
Kochi Metro’s Phase 2 project with a 11.2 km line and 11 stations was approved by the Kerala government in July 2018 with an estimated cost of Rs 2,310 cr. This phase includes the construction of a spur line from Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium to Infopark II in Kakkanad. This phase is currently awaiting the central government’s approval and will likely be funded by the Agence Française de Développement (AFD).
Various announcements of what Kochi Metro’s Phase 3 will look like have been made, but detailed planning for it is yet to begin. This phase could possibly include a northern extension of Line-1 to Cochin International Airport in Nedumbassery and onward to Angamaly.
- Top Speed: 80 kmph
- Average Speed: 34 kmph
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
- Electrification: 750 V DC Third Rail
- Power Supply: 110 KV AC
- Signalling: Communication-based Train Control (CBTC)
Operational: 25 km | Under Construction: 2.94 km (Phase 1A/1B) | Approved: 11.2 km (Phase 2)
- Daily Ridership: 55,000/day (February 2020)
- Rolling Stock: 75 coaches (25 train-sets x 3) supplied by Alstom
Kochi Metro Operational Line (Phase 1)
Line-1 (Blue Line): Aluva – Thaikoodam
- Length: 25 km
- Type: Elevated
- Depot: Muttom (23.6 hectares)
- Number of Stations: 22
- Station Names: Aluva, Pulinchodu, Companypady, Ambattukavu, Muttom, Kalamassery, Cochin University (CUSAT), Pathadipalam, Edapally, Changampuzha Park, Palarivatom, JLN Stadium, Kaloor, Lissie, M.G. Road, Maharaja’s College, Ernakulam South, Kadavanthra, Elamkulam, Vytila, Thykkoodam and Petta
- Note: In February 2020, KMRL launched a daily feeder shuttle service for Rs. 50 from Aluva Station to Kochi Airport, with departures every 40 minutes. First service starts at 5 am from the airport and at 5:40 am from Aluva Station. Last shuttle leaves at 10:30 pm from the airport and at 11:10 pm from Aluva Station.
Kochi Metro Under Construction Line (Phase 1A & Phase 1B)
Line-1 (Blue Line): Petta – S.N. Junction – Tripunithura
- Length: 2.94 km (Phase 1A: 1.78 km + Phase 1B: 1.163 km)
- Type: Elevated
- Number of Stations: 3
- Stations Names: Vadakkekotta, SN Junction & Tripunithura
Kochi Metro Approved Lines (Phase 2)
Line-2 (Pink Line): JLN Stadium – Infopark II
- Length: 11.2 km
- Type: Elevated
- Number of Stations: 11
- Station Names: Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium (new station box), Palarivattom Junction, Palarivattom Bypass, Chembumukku, Vazhakkala, Padamughal (formerly Kunnumpuram), Kakkanad Junction, Cochin SEZ (Special Economic Zone), Chittethukara, KINFRA (formerly Rajagiri), InfoPark 1 / Smart City 1, and InfoPark 2 / Smart City 2
- Status: Approved by Kerala’s state government in 2018. Bidding for construction is yet to begin. Central government’s approval is pending.
Kochi Metro Route Map (Operational)
The embedded map below shows the exact location of all stations and can be zoomed into!
An official PDF route map of Kochi Metro will be added here when available.
Kochi Metro Future Network Route Map (Phase 1, 1B & 2)
Kochi Metro Fare Chart (Prices)
Kochi Metro Rail Ltd. fixed Line-1’s fares in November 2016 with a minimum fare of Rs. 10 and maximum of Rs 60. Fare increases by Rs. 10 for every additional zone traveled.
|Zone||Distance from Origin||Fare|
|F1||2 km||Rs. 10|
|F2||5 km||Rs. 20|
|F3||10 km||Rs. 30|
|F4||15 km||Rs. 40|
|F5||20 km||Rs. 50|
|F6||25 km||Rs. 60|
After issue, a single ticket is valid up to 90 minutes and the rider must exit at the destination station’s automatic fare collection (AFC) gate by then.
Kochi Metro Tenders
Latest Kochi Metro (KMRL) tender notices can be viewed on the KMRL’s website. News on these notices, their bidders, awarded tenders and contracts are covered in further detail on the news & construction page.
Kochi Metro Major Contractors
|General Consultant (GC)||Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC)|
|Detailed Design Consultant (DDC)||Egis India|
|KRS-1: 75 Standard Gauge Coaches (Rolling Stock)||Alstom India|
|Power Supply & Traction||Ardanuy Ingenieria S.A|
|KS-1: Signalling, Train Control & Telecommunication||Alstom India|
|KS-2: Automated Fare Collection (AFC) system||Axis Bank – Asis Electronik Ve Bilisim Sistemleri JV|
|KC-02: Construction of viaduct & 6 stations from Aluva – Kalamassery||Larsen & Toubro|
|KC-03: Construction of viaduct & 6 stations from CUSAT – JLN Stadium||Larsen & Toubro|
|KS-04: Construction of viaduct & 5 stations from Kaloor – Ernakulum South||Soma Enterprise|
|KC-05: Construction of viaduct & 5 stations from Kadavanthara – Petta||Era – Ranken JV|
|KC-11: Construction of Muttom Depot||McNally Bharat|
|Detailed Design Consultant (DDC): Petta – Thrippunithura||LKT Engineering Pvt. Ltd.|
|KAC-02: Construction of viaduct from Petta to SN Junction & 2 stations at Vadakkekotta and SN Junction (1.78 km)||KEC International – China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (KEC-CCECC) JV|
|KAC-04: Construction of viaduct from SN Junction to Thrippunithura with 1 station at Thrippunithura (1.163 km)||KEC – VNC JV|
|Phase 1B Project Management Consultant (PMC): Petta – Thrippunithura||Aarvee Associates Architects Engineers & Consultants|
|Phase 1B Proof Consultancy: S.N. Junction to Thripunithura||Sree Giri Consultants is Lowest Bidder|
|Finishing and Architectural works including Block work, Plumbing, Sanitary fixtures and other Interior works at Vadakkekotta and SN Junction stations||Godrej & Boyce Mfg. Co. Ltd.|
|KAE-01: SITC of E&M (Electrical, VAC and Fire Protection) Works from Petta to Thripunithura Terminal||Voltas|
|KAE-02 Lot-1: Elevators for Stations on Petta to Thripunithura Terminal||Johnson Lifts Pvt. Ltd|
|KAE-02 Lot-2: Escalators for Stations Petta to Thripunithura Terminal||Schindler India Pvt. Ltd.|
|KAE-04: Electrification / Power Supply from Petta to Thripunithura Terminal||Linxon|
|KAT-01: Track-work from Petta to Thripunithura Terminal||Vijay Nirman Company (VNC)|
Kochi Metro History: Key Dates
- 19 June 2017: Aluva – Palarivattom (Line-1/Blue Line) – 13.2 km
- 4 October 2017 – Palarivattom – Maharaja’s College (Line-1/Blue Line) – 5 km
- 3 September 2019 – Maharaja’s College – Thaikoodam (Line-1/Blue Line) – 5.65 km
- 7 September 2020 – Thaikoodam – Petta (Line-1/Blue Line) – 5.65 km
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Page last updated: April 25, 2021. Have a question or spot an error? Let me know here.