Mumbai Metro Green Line – Info, Route Map, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Mumbai Metro’s Green Line (lines 4, 4A, 10, 11) is a 57.18 km under construction elevated & underground metro line connecting Shivaji Chowk (Mira Road) – Gaimukh – Kasarawadavali – Wadala – CST through 48 stations.
The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) is the owner of the line. In June 2019, a new nodal agency called Maha Mumbai Metro Operations Corporation (MMMOCL) was established to operate and maintain all services on lines owned by MMRDA.
MMRDA started the Green Line’s development with Line-4 – a 32.32 km corridor connecting Wadala – Kasarvadavali along LBS Marg and Eastern Express Highway in eastern Mumbai.
Line-4’s foundation stone was laid by the Prime Minister in 24 December 2016. In February 2018, Tata Projects – China Harbour Engineering Company (TPL-CHEC) JV and Reliance – Astaldi JV emerged as the lowest bidders for constructing five packages.
2.88 km Line-4A will extend the Green Line northward from Kasarvadavali to Gaimukh. Its detailed project report was approved by Maharashtra’s cabinet in December 2018, the MMRDA invited bids for it in March 2019, and J Kumar Infraprojects went on to be appointed as the civil contractor in September 2019 with a contract value of Rs 342 crore.
9.209 km Line-10 with 4 stations will extend the Green Line westward from Gaimukh to Shivaji Chowk in Mira Road. It was approved for construction by Maharashtra’s government on July 24, 2019 and India’s Prime Minister laid its foundation stone on September 9, 2019. Civil tendering for its construction is yet to begin.
12.774 km Line-11 with 10 stations has been proposed to extend the Green Line southward from Wadala to Chhattrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus and will consist of an 8.765 km underground stretch.
MMRDA and the Government of Maharashtra are in talks with German state-owned development bank KfW for an official development assistance (ODA) loan of €525 million to finance the line’s systems’ procurement.
The first section of the Green Line is expected to open in 2023 and will be connected to other metro lines, bus and suburban rail services through multiple interchanges throughout its route. The line’s official colour was revealed by MMRDA to the public on February 28, 2020 as part of a major branding exercise to establish style guidelines with help from Systra MVA Consulting.
Operational: 0 km | Under Construction: 35.2 km | Approved: 9.209 km | Proposed: 12.774 km
• Top Speed: 80 kmph
• Average Speed: 34 kmph
• Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
• Electrification: 25 kV, 50 Hz AC OHE
• Signalling: Communication-based Train Control (CBTC)
Green Line Route Info
Mumbai’s Green Line is being developed in four sections or parts –
Green Line – Line-4: Bhakti Park (Wadala) – Kasaravadavali
- Length: 32.32 km
- Status: Under Construction
- Type: Elevated
- Depot: Vikhroli (Godrej) – 15.50 hectares
- Number of Stations: 32
- Stations Names: Bhakti Park, Wadala TT, Anik Bus Depot, Suman Nagar, Siddharth Colony, Amar Mahal Junction, Garodia Nagar, Pant Nagar, Lakshmi Nagar, Shreyas Cinema, Godrej Company, Vikhroli, Surya Nagar, Gandhi Nagar, Naval Housing, Bhandup Mahapalika, Bhandup, Shangrila, Dr Hedgewar Chowk, Mulund Fire Station, Maharana Pratap Chowk, Thane Teen Haath Naka, RTO Thane, Mahapalika Marg, Cadbury Junction, Majiwada, Kapurbawdi, Manpada, Tikuji-Ni-Wadi, Dongari Pada, Vijay Garden, Kasaravadavali
- Estimated Cost: Rs. 14,549 cr
- Estimated Daily Ridership: 13.43 lakh/day (2031, Gaimukh – Wadala)
Green Line – Line-4A: Kasaravadavali – Gaimukh
- Length: 2.88 km
- Status: Under Construction
- Type: Elevated
- Depot: Mogharpada (20 hectares)
- Number of Stations: 2
- Station Names: Gowniwada, Gaimukh
- Detailed Project Report (DPR): view here (prepared by DMRC in Oct 2017)
- Estimated Cost: Rs 949 cr
Green Line – Line-10: Gaimukh – Shivaji Chowk (Mira Road)
- Length: 9.209 km
- Status: Approved
- Type: Elevated
- Number of Stations: 4
- Station Names: Gaimukh Reti Bundar, Versova Chaar Phata, Kashi Mira, Shivaji Chowk
- Detailed Project Report (DPR): view here (prepared by DMRC in March 2019)
- Estimated Cost: Rs. 4,476 cr
- Estimated Daily Ridership: 4.66 lakh/day (2031)
Green Line – Line-11: Bhakti Park (Wadala) – CSMT (12.774 km)
- Length: 12.744 km
- Status: Proposed
- Type: Elevated & Underground (8.765 km)
- Depot: Wadala
- Number of Stations: 10
- Station Names: Wadala RTO, Ganesh Nagar, BPT Hospital, Sewri, Hay Bunder, Coal Bunder, Darukhana, Wadi Bunder, Clock Tower, Carnac Tower and CSMT
- Detailed Project Report (DPR): view here (prepared by DMRC in Sept 2018)
- Estimated Cost: Rs. 8739 cr
- Estimated Daily Ridership: 16.95 lakh/day (2031, CSMT – Gaimukh)
Green Line Route Map
Green Line’s under construction Line-4 and Line-4A with all stations have been mapped out below. See the Mumbai Metro page for a future network map with Line-10 and Line-11’s general route.
Green Line Fares (Ticket Prices)
Green Line’s fare structure, prices and rules have not been announced yet. MMRDA plans to use the latest technologies for its automatic fare collection (AFC) system to allow QR codes and phones enabled with Near Field Communication (NFC) to utilize the system.
Green Line Tenders
Green Line’s Major Contractors
|General Consultant (GC)||DB Engineering & Consulting GmbH – Louis Berger Pvt. Ltd – Hill International|
|Detailed Design Consultant (DDC)||SYSTRA MVA Consulting India Pvt. Ltd.|
|Rolling Stock: 234 standard gauge coaches||Bombardier Transportation (Now Part of Alstom). Update: Contract terminated by Alstom in 2022|
|Head Hardened Rails||Bidding Underway|
|CBTC Signalling & Train Control, Platform Screen Doors||Alstom Transport is lowest bidder|
|Civil CA-08: Wadala – Amar Mahal (6.2 km viaduct & 6 stations)||Reliance – Astaldi JV|
|Civil CA-09: Garodia Nagar – Surya Nagar (6.4 km viaduct & 7 stations)||TPL – CHEC JV|
|Civil CA-10: Gandhi Nagar – Sonapur (6.7 km viaduct & 6 stations)||Reliance – Astaldi JV|
|Civil CA-11: Mulund Fire Station-Majiwada (7.1 km viaduct & 7 stations)||TPL – CHEC JV|
|Civil CA-12: Kapurbawdi -Kasarvadavali (6.8 km viaduct & 6 stations)||Reliance – Astaldi JV|
|Civil CA-54: Kasarvadavali – Gaimukh (2.88 km viaduct & 2 stations)||J Kumar Infraprojects|
|Civil CA- L4C01: Mogharpada Depot and infrastructure||Tender cancelled May 2021|
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Page last updated: April 24, 2021. Have a question or spot an error? Let me know here.