Mumbai Metro Aqua Line – Info, Route Map, Fares, Tenders & Updates
Mumbai Metro’s Line-3 (Aqua Line) is a 33.5 km under construction metro line with 27 stations connecting Cuffe Parade – BKC – Aarey Colony.
Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MMRC) is the nodal agency responsible for building this primarily-underground line, and was constituted as a JV of the Govt. of India (GOI) and the Government of Maharashtra (GOM) on a 50:50 sharing basis. The line will be operated and maintained by Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) for a period of 10 years.
Line-3 was approved for construction by India’s central government on June 28, 2013 with an estimated cost of Rs. 23,136 crore. A majority of it (57.2%) is being financed through an official development assistance (ODA) loan of Rs. 13,235 crore from Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) with an interest rate of 1.15% for project activities, 0.01% interest rate for consulting services, and 30 years of repayment (including 10 years of grace period).
7 contracts for the construction of Line-3’s underground tunnels and stations were awarded in July 2016 (see contractor list at the bottom). Construction work began in January 2017 and the first of 17 tunnel boring machines (TBMs) began excavation in November 2017. The final TBM breakthrough was recorded in November 2022.
Mumbai Metro’s Line-3 will open in 2 stages (Aarey Colony – BKC and BKC – Cuffe Parade). The first section is expected to be completed and opened in January 2024, much later than its deadline of June 2021.
This is due to construction delays and protests by citizens (activists, Bollywood actors etc.) against the felling and transplanting of trees from Aarey Milk Colony where the line’s maintenance depot (car shed) is planned. As of 2022, construction elsewhere is ongoing but civil work has not been able to commence for the depot’s structures and the at-grade Aarey Colony Station.
Line-3 will be connected to other metro lines, bus and suburban rail services through multiple interchanges throughout its north-south route. The line’s official colour as Aqua was revealed to the public on August 16, 2019 by the then incumbent chief minister.
Line-3’s Detailed Project Report (DPR) prepared by RITES in 2011 can be viewed here.
In August 2022, MMRC invited tenders to prepare a Detailed Project Report for extending the line by 2.5 km from Cuffe Parade to Navy Nagar in Colaba.
- Estimated Cost: Rs. 23,136 crore
- Estimated Daily Ridership: 17.0 Lakhs/Day (2021)
- Under Construction: 33 km
- On Hold: 0.5 km (Ramp – Aarey Colony Station)
- Rolling Stock: 248 coaches (31 x 8) by Alstom capable of UTO (Unattended Train Operation) with GoA4
- PHPDT: 39,000 (2021)
- Rolling Stock Width & Axle Load: 3.2m & 17T
- Top Speed: 90 kmph
- Average Speed: 34 kmph
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
- Electrification: 25 kV, 50 Hz AC OHE + regenerative braking system
- Signalling: Alstom Urbalis 400 Communication-based Train Control (CBTC)
Line-3’s Route Information
Line-3 – Aqua Line: Cuffe Parade – BKC – SEEPZ – Aarey Colony
- Length: 33.5 km
- Type: Underground & At-Grade
- Depot: Aarey Colony (tentative; possibly Kanjurmarg pending court’s decision)
- Number of Stations: 27
- Station Names: Cuffe Parade, Vidhan Bhavan, Churchgate, Hutatma Chowk, CSMT, Kalbadevi, Girgaon, Grant Road, Mumbai Central, Mahalaxmi, Science Museum, Acharya Atre Chowk, Worli, Siddhivinayak, Dadar, Shitladevi, Dharavi, Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC), Vidyanagri, Santa Cruz, CSIA Terminal 1 (Domestic Airport), Sahar Road, CSIA Terminal 2 (International Airport), Marol Naka, MIDC, SEEPZ and Aarey Colony (only at-grade station)
Line-3’s Route Map
As of December 2022, tunneling progress stands at 100% completion with all 42 TBM breakthroughs completed. Tunneling works on all 7 underground civil packages have been wrapped up:
- Package UGC-01: Cuffe Parade – CST (4.25 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM Surya-1 in May 2021
- Package UGC-02: CST – Mumbai Central (4.049 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM T59 (Vaitarna-2) in April 2020
- Package UGC-03: Mumbai Central – Worli – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM 1238 (Tansa-1) in November 2022
- Package UGC-04: Worli – Dharavi (6.08 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM S1073 (Krishna-1) in December 2020
- Package UGC-05: Dharavi – MVS near CSIA T1 (4.94 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM S64 (Godavari-4) in August 2020
- Package UGC-06: Santa Cruz MVS – CSI T2 (4.45km) – Final breakthrough recorded by T62 (Tapi 2) in February 2021.
- Package UGC-07: CSIA T2 – Sariput Ramp (4.157 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM D213 (Wainganga-2) in December 2019.
Fares (Ticket Prices)
Line-3’s fare structure, prices and rules have not been announced yet. MMRCL plans to deploy an open loop automatic fare collection (AFC) system. Users will be able to pay using QR codes on their phones, contactless pre-paid and post-paid smart cards.
|General Consultant||MAPLE: AECOM (lead) – PADECO, LBG and Egis Rail|
|Operations & Maintenance||Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC)|
|UGC-01: Cuffe Parade – CST (tunnels & 4 stations)||Larsen & Toubro – Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Co (L&T-STEC) JV|
|UGC-02: CST – Mumbai Central (tunnels & 4 stations)||Hindustan Construction Co – Moscow Metrostroy JV|
|UGC-03: Mumbai Central – Worli (tunnels & 5 stations)||Doğuş – Soma JV|
|UGC-04: Worli – Dharavi (tunnels & 3 stations)||Continental Engineering Corp – ITD Cementation – Tata Projects JV|
|UGC-05: Dharavi – CSIA T1 (tunnels & 4 stations)||J Kumar Infraprojects – China Railway Tunnel Group JV|
|UGC-06: CSIA T1 – Marol Naka|
(tunnels & 3 stations)
|J Kumar Infraprojects – China Railway Tunnel Group JV|
|UGC-07: Marol Naka – Aarey Colony Ramp (tunnels & 3 stations)||Larsen & Toubro – Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Co (L&T-STEC) JV|
|Package 8: Aarey Colony Depot||Sam (India) Builtwell Pvt. Ltd.|
|Package 9-1: CNC Under Floor Wheel Lathe||HYT Engineering Company Pvt. Ltd.|
|Package 9-2: Battery Operated Shunter||NITEQ – Renmakch JV|
|Package 10B: Track-works (main-line)||Larsen & Toubro Ltd.|
|Package 10C: Track-works (within depot)||Larsen & Toubro Ltd.|
|Package 11A: Traction System (25 kV Overhead Contact)||Alstom Transport – Alstom Transport India Ltd. JV|
|Package 11B: Power Supply System||Larsen & Toubro Ltd.|
|Package 12: Signaling & Train Control, Platform Screen Doors, Telecommunication System and M&E SCADA||Alstom Transport – Alstom Transport India Ltd. JV|
|Package 14: Automatic Fare Collection (AFC)||Kalindee Rail Nirman (Texmaco) – Asis Elektronik VE Billisim (Kalindee – Asis JV)|
|Package 15: Tunnel Ventilation System (TVS) & Environmental Control System (ECS) – Aarey – BKC||Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Co. Ltd|
|Package 15: Tunnel Ventilation System (TVS) & Environmental Control System (ECS) – Phase 2 Lot 1: BKC – Mumbai Central||Blue Star Ltd.|
|Package 15: Tunnel Ventilation System (TVS) & Environmental Control System (ECS) – Phase 2 Lot 2: Mumbai Central – Cuffe Parade||Voltas Ltd.|
|Package 16A: Escalators – Lot E1: Aarey – Dadar||Yuanda – Royal JV|
|Package 16A: Escalators – Lot E2: Siddhivinayak – Cuffe Parade||Johnson Lifts – SJEC JV|
|Package 16B: Escalators (Lifts) – Lot L1: Aarey – Dadar||IFE – CRANEX JV|
|Package 16B: Escalators (Lifts) – Lot L2: Siddivinayak – Cuffe Parade||Yuanda – Royal JV|
|Package 17: Rolling Stock – 248 standard gauge coaches (31 x 8)||Alstom Transport – Alstom Transport India Ltd. JV|
|NJ-1: Depot E&M Works||Blue Star Lt.d|
|NJ-2: Pylon Shifting Works||Ravin – Ashtavinayaka JV|
|NJ-3: Independent Safety Assessor (ISA)||Bureau Veritas Italia S.p.A|
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Page last updated: April 24, 2023. Have a question or spot an error? Let me know here.