Besides the start of trial runs on Line-2A and Line-7, another signficant milestone was recorded today!
Moments ago, Tunnel Boring Machine Surya-1 operated by Larsen & Toubro – Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Company JV arrived at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus on Mumbai Metro’s 33.5 km Line-3 (Aqua Line).
This was L&T-STEC JV’s 8th and final breakthough for the 4.25 km Package UGC-01’s tunnels between Cuffe Parade and CSMT. Overall, this was Line-3’s 38th of 42 planned TBM breakthroughs.
This Robbins Crossover XRE TBM (XRE2114-408) had recorded a breakthrough in November at Hutatma Chowk Station’s southern-end from Churchgate, and was then dragged to its northern-end through the 233 meter long station box using hydraulic jacks.
It was then re-commissioned for its 4th assignment on December 31 on its 4th assignment towards CSMT (or CST) Station to build its final 551 meter long tunnel for Line-3’s up-line.
With this development, here’s a recap of Package UGC-01 between Cuffe Parade and CST / CSMT stations where all tunneling works are now over.
This table is best viewed on a desktop device –
|1||Up||Cuffe Parade||Vidhan Bhavan||1128m||Completed|
|1||Up||Hutatma Chowk||CST||551m||Completed (this post!)|
|2||Down||Cuffe Parade||Vidhan Bhavan||1254m||Completed|
Tunneling works on 6 out of 7 underground civil packages have been wrapped up –
- UGC-01: Cuffe Parade – CST (4.25 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM Suya-1 today!
- UGC-02: CST – Mumbai Central (4.049 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM T59 (Vaitarna-2) in April 2020
- UGC-04: Worli – Dharavi (6.08 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM S1073 (Krishna-1) in December 2020
- UGC-05: Dharavi – MVS near CSIA T1 (4.94 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM S64 (Godavari-4) in August 2020
- UGC-06: Santa Cruz MVS – CSIA T2 (4.45km) – Final breakthrough recorded by T62 (Tapi 2) in February 2021
- UGC-07: CSIA T2 – Sariput Ramp (4.157 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM D213 (Wainganga-2) in December 2019.
Roughly 95% of Mumbai Metro Line-3’s tunneling has been completed and now just 2 TBMs are actively tunneling from an all time high of 17.
A total of 38 breakthroughs have been recorded so far with the following 4 pending on UGC-03. Both Robbins machines have been struggling on this section with frequent interventions and replacement of parts required.
I will add both machines’ progress when available.
|UGC-03||Science Museum – Mahalaxmi (up-line)||1118m, In Progress|
|UGC-03||Mahalaxmi – Mumbai Central (up-line)||837m, Not Started|
|UGC-03||Science Museum – Mahalaxmi (down-line)||1136m, In Progress|
|UGC-03||Mahalaxmi – Mumbai Central (down-line)||830m, Not Started|
For more updates, check out my Home Page!