Quick Snapshot of How India’s Metro Systems Stack Up With One Another
Notes & Methodology:
• In the interest of space, only operational projects have been included above. Besides the above cities, metro projects are under construction in Bhopal, Indore, Kanpur, Navi Mumbai and Pune.
• Route length is calculated using chainage provided in tendering documents. If that figure is not available, operator’s official length has been used. If that is also not available, then the length is estimated using satellite imagery-assisted mapping tools.
• Under Construction includes those section of lines for which contracts have been awarded and machinery/men have been mobilized on-site. Sections of metro lines which have been awarded construction, but have seen no ground-work, have been allocated to the approved column.
• Approved includes sections of lines which have at least been approved by the state government’s cabinet.
• Proposed includes upcoming lines which have been announced by the state government or local development agency. Their routes & distance are likely to be revised by the time their Detailed Project Report is created and approved.
• The ‘Delhi’ label includes the entire Delhi Metro network which extends beyond Delhi’s borders into Ghaziabad, Noida, Faridabad & Gurgaon. The ‘Gurgaon’ label includes the line built by Rapid Metro Rail Gurgaon (RMRG), while ‘Noida’ includes the line operated by the Noida Metro Rail Corporation (NMRC).
Questions? Connect with me via the Contact Me page.