Five firms on Tuesday submitted applications (bids) for qualification in response to the Amaravati Metro Rail Corporation’s request for qualification (RFQ) notice, published in September 2017, for developing Visakhapatnam’s 42.54 km metro project on the public-private-partnership (PPP) model.
This is just the first stage of the bidding process, and after evaluating each proposal over the next month or so, AMRC will invite request for proposal (RFP) bids from those firms that get shortlisted.
The five firms who’ve evinced interest are –
• Adani Enterprises Limited
• Essel Infraprojects Limited
• IL&FS Rail Limited
• Shapoorji Pallonji and Company Private Limited
• Tata Realty And Infrastructure Ltd.
From the list, only IL&FS has prior experience in executing a metro project – the one in Gurgaon.
Vizag’s metro project was originally planned to be developed on the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) model like the metro systems in Delhi & Bangalore, but in 2016 was found to be economically unviable by the central government. In 2017, the project was resurrected on the PPP model with an estimated cost of Rs 8800 crores. The government will fund the line’s civil construction while the developer will be required to fund the procurement of all systems (rolling stock, signalling, telecom etc), and operate & maintain the system for 35 years.
The system will consist of 3 elevated lines with 41 stations –
• Line 1 – Gajuwaka to Kommadi – 30.38 km with stations at Kommadi Junction, Hanumanthawaka Junction, Maddilapalem, Gurudwara Junction, Akkayyapalem, Kancharapalem, Muralinagar, Government Polytechnic College, Thatichetlapalem, Kancharapalem, Murali Nagar, GSI, NAD Junction, Visakhapatnam International Airport, Sheela Nagar, BHPV, Auto Nagar and Gajuwaka.
• Line 2 – Gurudwara Junction to Old Post Office – 5.25 km with stations at BVK College, RTC Complex, Dabagardens, Saraswati Circle, Poorna Market and Old Post Office.
• Line 3 – Thatichetlapalem to Chinna Waltair – 6.91 km with stations at New Railway Colony, Railway Station, Allipuram Junction, RTC Complex, Siripuram Junction, Andhra University and Chinna Waltair.
Here’s one of my old maps which shows all lines’ general alignment –
Local news report –
I’ll write a follow-up post when the shortlisted firms’ names are announced, which would be sometime in April/May.
For more updates, check out the Visakhapatnam section of The Metro Rail Guy!