DMRC Begins DPR Work for Gr. Noida – Jewar Airport Metro Line
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) in mid-October invited tenders for geotechnical investigation works along Yamuna Expressway to aid in the construction of a new metro line connecting Greater Noida’s Knowledge Park II and Jewar Airport.
This development comes after Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority (YEIDA) and DMRC signed a Memorandum of Understanding in September to prepare the line’s Detailed Project Report.
This new line is expected to be approximately 35 km long featuring local and semi high-speed services. It’ll run on a primarily elevated route with a short 2-4 km shallow underground section inside Jewar Airport’s site which I expect would be built using the cut and cover method.
This geotechnical investigation work is a low value contract estimated by DMRC at Rs. 14.75 lakh with a 10 week completion period. Technical bids were opened on November 1 to reveal 4 bidders:
- Cengrs Geotechnica Pvt Ltd.
- DBM Geotechnics and Constructions Pvt. Ltd.
- Sai Geotechnical Engineers Pvt. Ltd.
- Techpro Engineers Pvt Ltd.
Brief Scope: GEOTECHNICAL Investigation Work for preparation of DPR for Metro Corridor from Greater Noida KP-II to NIA
Schedule of Deliverables from Tender:
- Inception Report: 10 days from the date of award of work
- Completion of field work and submission of bore log details: 6 weeks from the date of award of work
- Submission of final report: 10 weeks from the date of award of work
Officially known as Noida International Airport, this greenfield project is being developed by Flughafen Zürich AG (Zurich Airport) with a 4 phase master plan to handle 60 million passengers per annum in the future. The project’s final phase envisions 2 runways and 4 terminals – see project details & design on this dedicated info page.
In the past, metro stations on this line were planned at the following locations but we’ll have to wait and see what the DPR suggests:
Greater Noida’s Knowledge Park-II, Chi-I, Chi-II, Chi-III, Chi-IV, Gautam Budh University, Night Safari, Murshadpur, Yamuna Authority’s Sector 26A, Noida International University, Galgotia University, Sector 17A, Sports City, Sector 22A, Sector 22B, Sector 18A, Sector 22C, Sector 19, Sector 2, Sector 20, Sector 21, Sector 28, Sector 29, Nagla Hukum Singh and Jewar Airport
Scope of Geotechnical Work
- Drilling of 150 mm diameter boreholes in all types of soils upto 30 m depth.
- Conducting Standard Penetration Tests in boreholes at regular intervals of 1.5m as per I.S. Code of practice and also in-situ tests as per Schedule.
- Collecting undisturbed soil samples from bore holes at every change of strata subject to a minimum of two per borehole as per I.S. Code of practice.
- Recording of water table level in the boreholes after completion of boring.
- Drilling bore holes upto a maximum depth of 5 metres in intact Hard Rock (RQD >50%) or 10 m in weathered rock (RQD upto 50%) or 30 metres in soil (upto N=100) using hydraulic / calyx rig by wash boring method as per the directions of Engineer-in-charge and as detailed in Technical Specifications and Schedule.
- Conducting in-situ permeability tests in Rocky strata and tests in labs in all other types of soils.
- Collecting rock core samples from bore holes and recording the RQD.
- Conduct all necessary laboratory tests on samples collected as per Schedule and Technical Specifications.
- Survey of bore holes for elevation and plotting of bore hole locations in alignment plan.
- Preparation of report summarizing the details of soil / rock classifications, analysis of test data and recommending the type of foundations to be adopted with design calculations for the proposed Elevated corridor duly highlighting the design criteria and design methodology and different groups of soil strata encountered.
The results from this contract’s investigation and other local survey/field-work will go into preparing the first draft of this line’s DPR which I expect would get ready in mid-2022 for dissemination and feedback from YEIDA’s board members and other local stakeholders. There’s a long way to go for the project to be finalized, but this is an encouraging start.
For more updates, check out the Delhi Metro section or my Home Page!
How can it become India’s largest airport with just two runways ? Delhi already has 3 (4th under construction). It should have atleast 4 runways given the abundant land available around it.
I’ve updated the post for clarity. I was stressing on ultimate passenger handling capacity.
Yeah I too heard that after all its phases will be completed it will boast 6 runways and be the largest airport Iin India in terms of passenger handling capacity.
There will be 6 runway in total First phase will have 2 runway which will be started from 2024
What about the direct connectivity with IGI Airport that Was being planned . That link was supposed to be between Pari Chowk and Shivaji Stadium in Delhi
Waiting for its geotechnical investigation tender. That’s Phase 2 of what YEIDA-DMRC have signed.
Side-note: I think it’s funny they call it IGI-Jewar direct connectivity, when it’s really a circuitous route involving a change of trains.
I think they have updated that route, as now it will start from New Delhi station. According to this report-https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hindustantimes.com/cities/noida-news/dmrc-report-suggests-7-metro-stations-on-route-linking-greater-noida-with-jewar-airport-101635703225049-amp.html
Cool, but the MOU in Sept was signed for Shivaji Chowk – Knowledge Park II. Connecting New Delhi RS will be better. Hope they proceed.
Any update on agra metro’s underground line construction tender?
Bid opening is scheduled on Nov 11
Any update about jmrc second phase
Naah – no movement on that
What about remaining 4th phase underground tenders opening?
Waiting for technical evaluation to get over. Will share financial opening news whenever they do it.
Sir, Any updates about the metro rail from faridabad to gurgaon?
Naah, no movement on that. I don’t see work starting at least for another 5 years.
how viable is to extend another metro line to jewar airport , perhaps violet line or upcoming silver line ?
I’d love to see the Airport Express Line getting extended there. Something like:
IGI – Dwarka – Gurgaon – Faridabad – Jewar
Thats like a U turn for airport express line. Wouldnt be financialy viable in my opinion. One thing can be done in future is to extend the silver line from tughalakabad to noida – greater noida – jewar airport. This will provide a good connectivity from jewar airport to aerocity. And as far as I remember, TMRG said sometime back that there are future plans to extend the silver line to noida. The only problem will be it wont be high speed. How about an RRTS line from Sarai Kale khan to Mathura/Agra with a stop at Jewar Airport in between ??
More like a long L-shaped line which is fine.
I think there’s a case for IGI – Gurgaon – Faridabad to be connected via the Airport Express Line. The Faridabad – Jewar section (approx. 40 km) is definitely unviable.
There are plans to develop a Sarai Kale Khan – Ballabhgarh RRTS line later on, but I don’t see it happening anytime soon. Current priority includes Meerut, Alwar & Panipat – as you likely know.
Current priority seems to be meerut only.. there is no work going on alwar and panipat lines. The panipat one isnt even approved fully I guess. But yes.. it will take time. If future plans are considered then I think jewar airport will be connected by delhi varanasi bullet train as well.