German tunnel boring machine (TBM) manufacturer Herrenknecht AG on October 11 completed factory acceptance tests (FAT) for TBM S1075 – the third and final new TBM at their Guangzhou facility in China which will be used to build a section of Mumbai Metro’s 33.5 km Line-3 tunnels between Cuffe Parade and Aarey Colony.
The CEC-ITD Cem-TPL JV will deploy this earth pressure balance TBM along with two others (S1073 which is currently being assembled & S1074 which recently arrived at Mumbai Port) to construct twin tunnels on the line’s 6.081 km package UGC-04 from the Worli Station’s North Shaft to the Dharavi Station’s West Shaft through the TBM launch shafts located at Naya Nagar in Mahim and Siddhivinayak Station.
As per the tunneling plan, S1075 will build a total of 3 tunnels –
• Up-line tunnel: Siddhivinayak to Worli (1290 m)
• Down-line tunnel: Siddhivinayak to Worli (1290 m)
• Down-line tunnel: Siddhivinayak to Dadar (1116 m)
• Package UGC-02 – 1 Terratec TBM in China (new)
• Package UGC-03 – 1 Robbins TBM in Singapore (refurbished)
• Package UGC-04 – 3 Herrenknecht TBMs (1st, 2nd) in China (new)
• Package UGC-05/06 – 2 Terratec TBMs in Delhi (refurbished) + 2 Terratec TBMs (1st, 2nd) in China (new)
• Package UGC-07 – 2 STEC TBMs in Singapore (refurbished)
For more updates, check out the Mumbai section of The Metro Rail Guy!