Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) on Monday invited bids for topographical survey work to prepare a Detailed Project Report (DPR) for extending Mumbai Metro’s 24.9 km Line-5 (Orange Line) by 7 km from Durgadi Chowk in Kalyan to Ulhasnagar, with a new 8 km loop within Bhiwandi connecting Rajiv Chowk with Temghar.
This tender notice came out of nowhere. A metro line to Ulhasnagar was announced by the then Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis back in October 2019 during his election campaign, but no formal plans for it have ever been announced.
The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) in fact has existing plans in motion to extend the partly under construction Line-5 by 20.7 km from Kalyan APMC to Taloja in Navi Mumbai. They’re currently in the process of selecting a General Consultant (GC) for its civil works, with the last date to submit bids coming up on September 29.
With this new plan now in place, it appears the Orange Line in the future will bifurcate at Durgadi Chowk, with one branch continuing south-west to Kalyan APMC (and onward to Taloja as Line-12), and the other branch heading south-west to Ulhasnagar.
Tender No: NIT/02/GM/CS/2020-21
Brief Scope: Topographical Survey work for preparation of DPR for extension of Mumbai Metro Line-5 from Rajiv Gandhi Chowk to Temghar and Durgadi Chowk to Ulhasnagar
- Completion Period: 70 days
- Date & time of submission: 28-Sep-2020 03:00 PM
- Date & time of tender opening: 29-Sep-2020 03:30 PM
UPDATE – In addition, DMRC has invited bids for Geotechnical work
Tender No: NIT/03/GM/CS/2020-21
Brief Scope: Geotechnical Investigation work for preparation of DPR for extension of Mumbai Metro Line-5 from Rajiv Gandhi Chowk to Temghar and Durgadi Chowk to Ulhasnagar
- Completion Period: 60 days
- Date & time of submission: 14-OCT-2020 03:00 PM
- Date & time of tender opening: 14-OCT-2020 03:30 PM
Route map shared by DMRC within the tender notice:
General Scope of Topographical Work from the Tender Document:
The work mainly comprises of Topographical Survey for preparation of DPR for extension of Mumbai Metro Line-5 from Rajiv Gandhi Chowk to Temghar and Durgadi Chowk to Ulhasnagar (Total length 15 km approx.). Activities to be performed broadly are as follows:
- Fixing of a pair of survey control points at 5 km interval along the corridor by Differential Global Positioning System(DGPS)
- Topographical Survey with Total Station Instrument of Running Section and Station areas/depot location
- Triangulation Survey of Section
- Precise Leveling of Control points
- Profile Leveling
- Preparation of river bed profile along the proposed alignment
For more updates, check out the Mumbai section of The Metro Rail Guy!