India’s National High Speed Rail Corporation (NHSRCL) on Friday night invited bids for the design, manufacturing and installation of tracks (Package T-2) for the 508.17 km Mumbai – Ahmedabad High Speed Rail (MAHSR Bullet Train) project.
Package T-2 in Gujarat is the first and longest of three track related packages (T-1, T-2, T3) of this HSR line which will connect both cities through 12 stations at an estimated cost of Rs. 1.1 lakh crore (US $15 billion). It spans the entire length (237.1 km) of civil package C4 (MH/GJ border to Vadodara) which was awarded to Larsen & Toubro in November 2020.
IFB Number: Package No. MAHSR – T-2
Brief Scope: Design, Supply and Construction of Track and Track related Works including Testing and Commissioning on Design-Build Lump Sum Price basis for Double Line High Speed Railway between Zaroli Village at Maharashtra-Gujarat Border (MAHSR Km. 156.600) and Vadodara (MAHSR Km. 393.700) in the State of Gujarat and the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli for the Project for Construction of Mumbai Ahmedabad High Speed Rail
- Completion Period: 2738 days (7.5 years)
- Pre-bid Meeting: 15-Mar-2021 11:00 AM
- Date & Time of Submission of Tender: 29-May-2021 03:00 PM
- Date & Time of Opening of Tender: 31-May-2021 11:00 AM
A special slab track system will be utilized for the Bullet Train project instead of a conventional ballasted track system found in main-line railway lines. NHSRCL has a dedicated page for this with information on its economics and dynamics. Here’s an excerpt:
- Performance of Slab Track is better for High Speed Railway compared to ballasted track due to its higher flexural stiffness and it is because of this that the forces in Slab Track are distributed over a larger area and deflections are considerably less compared to ballasted track. This ultimately results in lesser maintenance requirement in Slab Track structure.
- Although initial construction cost of Slab Track is higher compared to ballasted track, the difference is compensated within few years of operation because of less maintenance and labour requirements in Slab Track. Slab Track structure is particularly advantageous in case of viaduct and tunnel due to its lighter and sleek structure.
Here’s the scope and status of the Mumbai – Ahmedabad Bullet Train’s 3 track-work packages:
|T-1 (Maharashtra): Design, Supply & Construction of Track & Track related works between HSR station at BKC/ Mumbai and Zaroli Village on MH/GJ border (156.855 km)||Tender Notice Pending|
|T-2 (Gujarat): Design, Supply & Construction of Track and Track related works between Zaroli Village and Vadodara (237.10 km)||Bids Invited (this post!)|
|T-3 (Gujarat): Design, Supply & Construction of Track and Track related works between Vadodara and Sabarmati Depot and workshops (114.60 km)||Tender Notice Pending|
For more updates, check out the High Speed Rail section of The Metro Rail Guy!