CMRS Inspects Pune Metro’s Priority Section: PCMC – Phugewadi
Janak Kumar Garg – the Commissioner of Metro Railway Safety (CMRS) on Tuesday wrapped up a 3-day final safety inspection for Pune Metro Phase 1’s 6 km Priority Section between PCMC – Phugewadi.
Trial runs on this section of the Purple Line’s 10.795 km Reach 1 had first started in January 2020 on 2.4 km section between PCMC and Sant Tukaram Nagar. In January 2021, testing was extended to Phugewadi which includes a special span built by NCC over the JRD Tata Flyover.
Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (Maha Metro) has uploaded a detailed document on the CMRS’ visit with some additional snaps – check it out here.
Here’s an excerpt with a list of activities performed:
- Inspected all 5 metro stations-Phugewadi, Kasarwadi, Bhosari, Sant Tukaram, and PCMC and inspected all the passenger amenities provided by Maha-Metro –
a. Checked provision of staircases, conducted test on lifts and escalators for proper functioning as per codal standards/NBC.
b. Facilities provided in metro station for convenience of differently abled and normal passengers eg toilets, ramps, signages.
c. Fire prevention system -conducted mock drill of smoke detection and fire alarm and readiness of metro station control staff to handle emergency situations/evacuation of passengers in case of emergency.
d. AFC gates, ticketing facilities.
e. Auxiliary Sub Stations/Telcom/ communication/signaling facilities at stations.
- Motor trolley Inspection of entire 7km section in both the directions during which he conducted intensive quality checks of track, rail welding, curves, drainage from Viaduct, Points and crossing, critical track components, Buffer stops, Platform clearances on all the station, checked overhead electrical traction system, signaling system,
- Conducted confirmatory train testing on entire 7 km section by metro train in both the direction and turn back arrangements for train at PCMC and Phugewadi.
- Inspected elevated viaduct and Conducted NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) to check quality of concrete, steel girders with regards to codal provision.
- Conducted intensive quality audit of Maha-Metro works of all the departments.
- Inspection of overhead maintenance facility for coaches at PCMC end at sunken pit.
- CMRS also accompanied trial running and testing of newly arrived coaches from Hill View Car Depot at Vanaz to Garware. These train set are undergoing intensive trial testing before their induction into regular services.
MahaMetro is looking to start operations in January 2022 and they will be forced to use the two CRRC trains borrowed from Nagpur Metro in 2019 as Reach-1 has major gaps in the viaduct from Dapodi all the way to the Range Hills Ramp where the crucial Range Hills Depot is located.
Until the viaduct is completed, operations will be severely limited and I see proper high frequency commercial operations using Titagarh train-sets starting only in 2023.
For more updates, check out the Pune section or my Home Page!
Media has reported two stretches to get opened this month:
1. PCMC-Phugewadi section
2. 5-km priority stretch from Vanaz to Garware college
…btw the bearded guy isn’t available for inauguration. So, commissioning is postponed..
when will it open now ?