Australia-based tunnel boring machine (TBM) manufacturer Terratec on this past Sunday completed factory acceptance tests (FAT) for the fourth of five new TBMs at their Guangzhou facility in China which will be used to build a section of Mumbai Metro’s 33.5 km Line-3 tunnels between Cuffe Parade and Aarey Colony.
Christened T59, this Ø6.68m dual-mode TBM will be deployed along with T58 by the Hindustan Construction Company – OSJC Moscow Metrostroy JV to exclusively build twin tunnel on the line’s 4.049 km package UGC-02 (Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminal Station – Mumbai Central TBM receiving shaft) which was awarded by the Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. in July 2016.
As per the tunneling plan, T59 will be launched through the CST Station’s northern shaft and will be retrieved from Mumbai Central Station’s southern shaft after excavating 3556 meters for 4 tunnels on the down-line.
— MumbaiMetro3 (@MumbaiMetro3) October 17, 2017
This is apparently the last Terratec machine to get ready this year. The 5th & final machine (T62) for UGC-06 is expected to get manufactured and complete FAT in 2018.
• Package UGC-01 – None
• Package UGC-02 – 2 Terratec TBMs (1st) in China (new)
• Package UGC-03 – 1 Robbins TBM in Singapore (refurbished)
• Package UGC-04 – 3 Herrenknecht TBMs (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in China (new)
• Package UGC-05/06 – 2 Terratec TBMs in Delhi (refurbished) + 2 Terratec TBMs (1st, 2nd) in China (new)
• Package UGC-07 – 2 STEC TBMs in Singapore (refurbished)
For more updates, check out the Mumbai section of The Metro Rail Guy!