Four infrastructure firms have submitted bids for constructing the 13.92 km Dairy Circle – Nagawara underground section of Bangalore Metro’s 21.415 km Line-4 (Reach 6) of the 72 km Phase 2 project after officials on October 23rd opened the bidding packets to evaluate proposals for assigning contractors to build the line’s 4 underground civil packages.
This list includes Larsen & Toubro (L&T), Italian-Thai Development (ITD), Afcons Infrastructure and Gulermak.
• All four firms have been triple confirmed to have bid independently without any foreign or other local partners. Firms going solo due to experience and newly found confidence is a growing trend in India as witnessed over the past year in Chennai, Ahmedabad and Delhi.
• Larsen & Toubro has submitted bids for only Package 2 and Package 3.
• Gulermak is the only non-Indian firm (currently working on its first Indian assignment with Tata Projects in Lucknow) and is likely to tie up with a local collaborator if they’re awarded a package.
• 16 firms had bought the tender documents, and the pre-bid meeting’s attendance included these firms (list is not-exhaustive) – L&T, Tata Projects, HCC, Coastal, Soma Enteprise, Pratibha Industries, Gammon, Gulermak, Afcons Infrastructure, Reliance Infrastructure, ITD and URCC.
• Both contractors (and its individual firms) who worked on Phase 1 (Coastal – Transtonnelstroy JV on Green Line’s UG-1 and CEC – Soma – CICI JV on Purple Line’s UG-2) stayed away from submitting bids. This was either due to profitability concerns or past experience in dealing with BMRCL.
• As per the bidding notice, a firm can only win a maximum of 2 packages.
Civil construction bids for this underground section’s tunnels, stations, ramps and other allied infrastructure were invited in late-June for four packages:
• Package 1 (R6-UG-P1) – South Ramp to Vellara Road Station with 3 stations at Dairy Circle, MICO Industries, Langford Town
• Package 2 (R6-UG-P2) – Vellara Road Station to Cantonment Station with 3 stations at Vellara Road, MG Road, Shivaji Nagar
• Package 3 (R6-UG-P3) – Cantonment Station to Venkateshpura Station with 3 stations at Cantonment, Pottery Town, Tannery Road
• Package 4 (R6-UG-P4) – Venkateshpura Station to North Ramp with 3 stations at Venkateshpura, Arabic College, Nagawara
With this development, technical bid evaluation has started. Financial bids of the firms who qualify through the technical bidding round are expected to be opened in the first half of 2018. That’ll give an idea of the likely contractors before any sort of official announcement is made.
For more updates, check out the Bangalore section of The Metro Rail Guy!