Pune Metro project’s updated website indicates that on June 20 and July 13, Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (Maha-Metro) awarded Jindal Steel & Power Ltd. and Mitsui & Co., Ltd with two contracts to supply 3000 MT of head-hardened (HH) rails each, and Voestalpine VAE VKN India Pvt. Ltd. with a contract to supply UIC 60 turnouts for the 31.254 km Pune Metro Phase 1 project.
Pune’s Head Hardened rails will be 60E1 – 1080 grade as per Indian Railway Specification T-12-2009 and manufactured through a special heat treatment process to provide additional strength, lower residual stress, elongate track-life and minimize maintenance.
- Contract: P1-T01 R/2019
- Scope: Supply of 6000 MT 60 E1 (UIC 60), 1080 Grade Head Hardened (HH) Rails as per IRS T-12-2009 for Pune Metro Rail Project
- Bids Invited: December 10, 2019
- Completion Period: 52 weeks
- Awarded to: Jindal Steel & Power Ltd. (3000 MT) and Mitsui & Co., Ltd (3000 MT)
- LOA Date: June 20, 2020
- Contract Value: Rs. 18,47,01,942.00 (JSPL) and USD 2,580,000.00 (Mitsui)
Within India, JSPL is the only Indian rail manufacturer capable of producing these special tracks. Their rail plant is located in nearby Raigarh, Chhattisgarh and has a capacity of producing 30,000 tonnes of head hardened rail per month – watch a news video. This is their second major contract after Kolkata Metro’s Line-2 where they won a contract to supply 2,308 MT in April 2020.
The UIC 60 turnouts will enable Pune Metro’s 34 Titagarh Firema train-sets to guide from one track line to another.
- Contract: ICB-P1-T03R1/2019
- Scope: Design, Manufacturing & Supply of Standard Gauge 60E 1 (UIC 60) Turnouts for Pune Metro Rail Project.
- Bids Invited: December 6, 2019
- Completion Period: 300 Days
- Awarded to: Voestalpine VAE VKN India Pvt. Ltd.
- LOA Date: July 13, 2020
- Contract Value: Rs. 21,86,41,281.96
For more updates, check out the Pune section of The Metro Rail Guy!