Three firms this week submitted bids for the Independent Safety Assessor (ISA) contract of Indore Metro and Bhopal Metro’s Phase 1 projects after Madhya Pradesh Metro Rail Co Limited (MPMRCL) opened technical bids.
The ISA appointed by MPMRCL will carry out an independent safety assessment and audit of both systems’ Signaling & Train Control System (being installed by Alstom Transport) and its interfaces with Rolling Stock (also being supplied by Alstom Transport), Platform Screen Door system at underground stations, and other systems such as track, 750 V Third Rail Traction and Automatic Fare Collection.
MPMRCL had invited bids for this consultancy service (Package BH-IN-11) in September 2023 with an unknown estimate and 3.5 year contract duration.
- Bureau Veritas (India) Pvt. Ltd.
- TUV INDIA Pvt. Ltd.
- TUV SUD South Asia Pvt. Ltd.
Brief Scope: Independent Safety Assessors (ISA) for independent safety assessment and audit of safety aspects of the signalling & train control, platform screen door and Rolling Stock sub-systems for Bhopal and Indore Metro Rail Projects
The bids are currently undergoing technical evaluation. When completed, the financial bids of the technically qualified bidders will be opened to reveal who’s the lowest bidder and most likely consultant.
When appointed, the ISA’s immediate goal would be do an independent safety assessment at both systems’ priority corridor (1st stretch) in order to pass the final Commissioner of Metro Railway Safety (CMRS) inspection for starting commercial operations.
MPMRCL had started trial runs for Indore Metro in mid-September 2023 on the Yellow Line‘s 5.8 km Super Corridor section. In Bhopal, they started trial runs in September-end on the Orange Line‘s 6.225 km Package 1 (Subhash Nagar – AIIMS).
Here’s a more detailed scope of this contract outlined in the tender documents:
- The ISA shall carry out safety assessment of the Signalling & Train Control, Platform Screen Door, and Rolling Stock and the interfaces with the other subsystems such as Track, 750 V Third Rail Traction System, Automatic Fare Collection, Civil Engineering works, Tunnel Ventilation System, Fire Safety provisions, Evacuation methodology etc.
- The basis for safety assessment and verification activities shall be EN 50126, EN 50128, EN 50129, IEC 61508, IEC 62267, IEC 62290-1,2 and any other applicable national/international standards, such as EN 50159-1,2 for Communication system. Guidance may also be obtained from “International Engineering safety Management – 2013” and Application Notes no 2, 4 & 9.
- Scope of ISA activities does not include construction safety or security. Scope of work also does not include civil engineering assets such as tunnel, viaduct or station buildings and related MEP (Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing).
- The ISA activities shall be carried out in design, manufacturing, testing & commissioning as well as O&M phases of system life cycle.
- The ISA’s Assessor’s safety activities shall follow at every stage of the S&TC Contractor’s development process. The ISA Assessor shall verify that the required level of safety/quality is achieved by S&TC system, and the interfaces with other systems, to ensure the safe operation of Metro as per the safety requirements.
- The ISA Assessor shall assess both the hardware and software components of the S&TC system included in its safety related interfaces with interfaced systems in an integrated manner.
- The ISA assessor shall discuss the draft safety Audit Report with the Engineer/Employer before the final version is completed and submitted. The ISA shall revise the draft report giving due consideration to the Engineer/Employer and also S&TC contractor’s comments if any. The revised report from Draft stage to Final stage shall be submitted within 14 calendar days after the comments are received by the ISA.
- After completion of the Safety Audit, the ISA assessor shall document all observations and record them in a tracking log. For each non-conformance item, the ISA assessor shall verify the implementation and effectiveness of the corrective action performed by the S&TC contractor.
For more updates, check out the Bhopal & Indore sections or my Home Page! Sign up for free instant email notifications on new posts over here. Like this post? Get early-access to updates and support the site over here.