Chennai Metro Phase 1 Extension – Information, Route Maps, Tenders & Updates
Chennai Metro’s Phase 1 Extension project consists of a 9.051 km extension of the 23.1 km Blue Line, built in the 45.1 km Phase 1 project, northward from Washermanpet to Wimco Nagar through 8 stations. The project also consists of a new elevated depot with stabling yard at Wimco Nagar to service Blue Line trains.
The Phase 1 extension project was approved by Tamil Nadu’s state cabinet in December 2015 and by India’s Central Government in June 2016 with an estimated cost of Rs. 3770 crore. 60 percent of the project’s civil procurement and procurement of systems, such as the 40 new coaches from Alstom, have been funded by the Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
Construction on this small phase’s line started in 2016-end. Trial runs are expected to begin in Q1 2021, and the line is expected to open for commercial operations in mid 2021.
- CMRL’s Original Phase 1 Extension Deadline: 2019
- My Completion Estimate: 2021-end
Phase 1 Extension Funding
- Government of India: Rs. 713 crore (19.99%)
- Government of Tamil Nadu: Rs. 713 crore (19.99%)
- Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA): Rs. 2141 crore (20.02%)
Phase 1 Extension Route
This phase involves the construction and extension of 1 line on standard gauge tracks. From Washermanpet, the Blue Line continues to run underground for 2.4 kms until Korrukupet and then becomes elevated along Thiruvottiyur High Road.
Line-1 (Blue Line): Washermanpet – Wimco Nagar
- Length: 9.051 km
- Status: Under Construction
- Type: Underground (2.379 km) & Elevated (6.672 km)
- Depot: Wimco Nagar (for trains on entire Blue Line)
- Number of Stations: 8
- Station Names: Sir Theagaraya College (underground), Tondiarpet (formerly Korrukupet; underground), New Washermenpet (formerly Tondiarpet), Thangal (formerly Tollgate), Kaladipet (formerly Thangal), Thiruvottiyur Theradi (formerly Gowri Ashram), Thiruvottiyur and Wimco Nagar
Phase 1 Extension Route Map
The embedded map below shows the exact location of all stations and can be zoomed into!
An official PDF route map of Chennai Metro Phase 1 Extension will be added here when available.
Key for map below: Phase 1 | Phase 1 Extension | Phase 2
List of Major Contractors
|Phase 1 Extension’s Detailed Design Consultant (DDC)||Systra MVA Consulting (India) Pvt. Ltd.|
|40 Coaches (Rolling Stock)||Alstom India Ltd.|
|UAA-08: Construction of
Washermenpet to Korukkupet
Tunnels, ramp & 6 cross-passages
|UAA-09: Construction of
Sir Theagaraya College & Korukkupet Station
|IL&FS – PJSC Kyivmetrobud JV (terminated in January 2020)|
|ECV-101: Construction of viaduct from Korukkupet Ramp to Thangal with 3 stations at Tondiarpet, Tollgate and Thangal (3.25 km)||Simplex Infrastructures Ltd.|
|ECV-102: Construction of viaduct from Thangal to Wimco Nagar with 3 stations at Gowri Ashram, Tiruvottiyur and Wimco Nagar||NCC Ltd.|
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Page last updated: January 2, 2021. Spot an issue? Let me know here.