Chennai Metro Phase 2 – Information, Route Maps, Tenders & Updates
Phase 2 Information
Chennai Metro Phase 2 project with 3 new lines totaling 118.9 km was approved by the Tamil Nadu government in 2019 at an estimated cost of Rs. 69,180 crore. Since then, the cost has been revised down to Rs 61,843 crore by reducing station sizes. The Central Government’s approval is currently pending.
Phase 2’s Detailed Project Report (DPR) was prepared by RITES and finalized in December 2018. Out of 118.9 km, 52.01 km of Line-3’s section between Madhavaram – Sholinganallur and Line-5’s section between Madhavaram – CMBT will be built on priority and partially funded by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) through an ODA loan.
Tendering for this mostly underground phase began in January 2020. Phase 2 is expected to open to the public in phases from 2025 onwards. After phase 2 is built and completed in 2028 (estimated), Chennai’s metro network will become roughly 173 km long.
- CMRL’s Phase 2 Deadline: 2025
- My Completion Estimate: 2028
Phase 2 Routes
This phase involves the construction of 3 new lines on standard gauge tracks, with smaller stations than those built in Phase 1. Official alignment and line colors are yet to be announced/revealed for these 3 new lines.
Line-3 (Purple Line): Madhavaram – SIPCOT 2
- Length: 45.813 km (19.09 km elevated & 26.72 km underground)
- Depot: Madhavaram & SIPCOT
- Number of Stations: 49 (20 elevated & 29 underground)
- Station Names: Madhavaram Milk Colony, Thapalpetti, Murari Hospital, Moolakadai, Sembiyam, Permabur Market, Perambur Metro, Ayanavaram Otteri, Pattalam, Perambur Barracks Road, Doveton Junction (canceled), Purasawalkam High Road, Kellys, KMC, Chetpet Metro, Sterling Road Junction, Nungambakkam, Gemini, Thousand Lights, Royapettah Govt Hospital, Radhakrishnan Salai Jn, Thirumayilai Metro (interchange with Line-4), Mandaiveli, Greenways Road Metro, Adyar Jn, Adyar Depot, Indira Nagar, Thiruvanmiyur Metro, Taramani Road Junction, Nehru Nagar, Kandanchavadi, Perungudi, Thoraipakkam, Mettukuppam, PTC Colony, Okkiyampet, Karapakkam, Okkiyam Thoraipakkam, Sholinganallur (interchange with Line-5), Sholinganallur Lake, Ponniamman Temple, Sathyabama University, St Joseph College, Semmancheri, Gandhi Nagar, Navallur, Siruseri, SIPCOT 1 and SIPCOT 2
Line-4 (Orange Line): Light House – Poonamallee Bus Depot
- Length: 26.09 km (16.02 km elevated & 10.07 km underground)
- Depot: Poonamallee
- Number of Stations: 28 (18 elevated & 10 underground)
- Station Names: Light House, Kutchery Road, Thirumayilai Metro, Alwarpet, Bharathidasan Road, Adyar Gate Junction, Nandanam, Panagal Park, Kodambakkam Sub Urban, Meenakshi College, Power House, Vadapalani, Saligramam, Avichi School, Alwarthirunagar, Valasaravakkam, Karambakkam, Alapakkam, Porur Junction, Chennai Bypass Crossing, Ramachandra Hospital, Iyyapanthangal Bus Depot, Kattupakkam, Kumananchavadi, Karayanchavadi, Mullai Thottam, Poonamalle bus terminus, Poonamallee Bypass, Poonamallee Bus Depot
- Note – this line’s alignment was approved to be modified in mid-2017, and will now connect up to Poonamallee via through Vadapalani and Porur. Stations planned at Foreshore Road and Natesan Park have been dropped.
- Estimated Project Cost: $2174.53 million
- Financing Plan: AIIB: $356.65 million (16%), Unassigned Co-Financer: $1,165.52 million (53.6%), Govt. of TN: $652.36 million (30.4%)
Line-5 (Red Line): Madhavaram – Sholinganallur
- Length: 47.0 km (41.17 km elevated & 5.83 km underground)
- Depot: Madhavaram
- Number of Stations: 48 (41 elevated, 1 at-grade & 6 underground)
- Station Names: Madhavaram Milk Colony (interchange with Line-3), Venugopal Nagar, Assissi Nagar, Manjambakkam, Velmurugan Nagar, MMBT, Shastri Nagar, Reteeri Junction, Kolathur Junction, Srinivasa Nagar, Villivakkam Metro, Villivakka, Bus Terminus, Nadhamuni, Anna Nagar Depot, Thirumangalam, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Grain Market, Sai Nagar Bus Stop, Elango Nagar Bus Stop, Alwartiru Nagar, Valasaravakkam, Karabakkam, Alapakkam, Porur Junction, Mugalivakkam, DLF IT SEZ, Sathya Nagar, CTC, Butt Road, Alandur (interchange with Line-1 and Line-2), St Thomas Mount (interchange with Line-2), Adambakkam, Vanuvampet, Puzhuthivakkam, Madipakkam, Kilkattalai, Echangadu, Kovilabakkam, Vellakkal, Medavakkam Koot Road, Kamraj Garden Street, Medavakkam Junction, Perumbakkam, Global Hospital, Elcot, Sholinganallur
- Estimated Project Cost: $708.64 million
- Financing Plan: AIIB: USD 438.75 million (62%), ADB: USD 114.1 million (16%), Govt. of TN: USD 155.88 million (22%)
Chennai Metro Route Map: Phase 1 & 2
Key for map below: Line-1 | Line-2 | Line-3 | Line-4 | Line-5
An official PDF route map of Chennai Metro’s Phase 2 can be viewed and downloaded here.
Key for map below: Phase 1 | Phase 1 Extension | Phase 2
Phase 2 Project Video
Phase 2 Tenders
Latest Chennai Metro (CMRL) Phase 2 tender notices can be viewed on the CMRL’s website. News on these notices, their bidders and contracts are covered in further detail on the news & construction page.
Phase 2’s Contractors
|Line-3: Detailed Design Consultant (DDC)||CEG – AECOM JV|
|Line-4: Detailed Design Consultant (DDC)||LEED SMEC (underground section) and AECOM (elevated section)|
|Line-5: Detailed Design Consultant (DDC)||SYSTRA|
|Line-3 and Line-5’s General Consultant (GC)||Nippon Koei India Pvt. Ltd. – Aarvee Associates Architects Engineers & Consultants Pvt. Ltd. – Balaji Railroad Systems Pvt. Ltd JV|
|Line-4’s General Consultant (GC)||Technical Bids Opened on November 3 – 7 Bids Received|
|Line-4’s Rolling Stock (78 coaches)||Bids Invited December 19|
|Line-3: Package TU01 – 9 km tunnels from Venugopal Nagar Shaft to Kelly’s Station and partial works at 4 stations||Larsen & Toubro (L&T) is lowest bidder but Tata Projects likely to be awarded contract|
|Line-3: Package TU02 – 12 km twin tunnels from Kellys Station to Taramani Road Junction and partial works at 4 stations||Larsen & Toubro (L&T) is lowest bidder|
|Line-3: Package UG-01 – 5 stations and 2 partial stations (Madhavaram to Perambur)||Bids Invited November 7|
|Line-3: Package UG-02 – 4 stations and 2 partial stations (Ayanavaram to Kellys)||Bids Invited November 7|
|Line-3: Package UG-03 – 5 stations and 2 partial stations (KMC to Royapettah)||Bids Invited November 7|
|Line-3: Package UG-04 – 4 stations and 1 partial station (Radhakrishnan to Adyar Junction)||Bids Invited November 7|
|Line-3: Package UG-05 – 3 stations and 1 partial station (Adyar Depot – Taramani Link Road Ramp)||Bids Invited November 7|
|Line-3: Package ECV-01 –10.13 km elevated section with 9 stations from Sholinganallur Lake to SIPCOT 2||Bids Invited January 29|
|Line-3: Package ECV-02 –10 km elevated section with 10 stations between Taramani Link Road Ramp near Nehru Nagar and Sholinganallur||Bids Invited February 9|
|Line-4 & 5: Package C4-ECV-01 – 7.955 km elevated section with 9 stations from Power House to Porur Junction||Larsen & Toubro (L&T) is lowest bidder|
|Line-4: Package C4-ECV-02 – 7.945 km elevated section with 9 stations from Porur Junction to Poonamalle Bypass||Larsen & Toubro (L&T) is lowest bidder|
|Line-5: Package C5-ECV-03 – 11.61 km elevated section with 11 stations from Puzhuthivakkam to Sholinganallur||Bids Invited November 11|
|Line-5: Package UG-6 – twin tunnels, ramps and 5 stations (Kolathur to Nathamuni)||Bids Invited January 7, 2021|
|Line-5: Package C5-ECV-02 – 12.431 km elevated section from CMBT Puzhuthivakkam with 12 stations||Bids Invited January 22|
|Line-5: Package CP10-EV-03 – 10.2 km viaduct, 11 elevated stations and 1 underground station between CMBT and Venugopal Nagar||Bids Invited February 9|
|Line-4: Package C4-UG-01 – 5.15 km underground section with 5 stations from Bharathidasan Road to Light House||Bids Invited February 18|
|Line-4: Package C4-UG-02 – 4.877 km underground section with 5 stations from Power House Ramp to Boat Club||Bids Invited February 18|
|Line-4: Construction of Poonamallee Depot||Bids Invited January 12|
|Lines 3 & 5: Construction of Madhavaram Depot||Bids Invited February 26|
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Page last updated: February 21, 2021. Spot an issue? Let me know here.