Larsen & Toubro earlier this month was awarded contracts (LOAs) for 2 elevated sections of Chennai Metro Phase 2’s 47 km Line-5 which will connect Madhavaram – Sholinganallur through 48 stations.
L&T was the only bidder for Packages CP-10-EV-03 and C5-ECV-02 when technical bids were opened in mid-July, so it was fairly obvious they’d be the lowest bidder when Chennai Metro Rail Ltd (CMRL) moved on to technical bid evaluation and onward to the financial bid opening stage in September.
- CP-10-EV-03: 10.2 km CMBT – Venugopal Nagar with 1 underground and 11 elevated stations
- C5-ECV-02: 12.431 km CMBT – Puzhuthivakkam with 12 elevated stations
If someone has a copy of the LOAs then connect with me here and I can add them into the post.
This package consists of 1 underground and 11 elevated stations at the northern-end of Line-5. It consists of 2 disjointed sections on either side of the underground Package UG6 (Kolathur – Nathamnuni) for which L&T was again the only bidder. The two sections and other infra include:
- CMBT to Nathamuni Ramp – 5 stations at CMBT, Kaliamman Koil Street Junction, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Thirumangalam & Anna Nagar Depot
- Retteri Ramp to Venugopal Nagar – 7 stations at Retteri Junction, Shastri Nagar, MMBT, Velmurugan Nagar, Manjambakkam, Assisi Nagar & Venugopal Nagar (underground)
- 1.5 km depot-line to lines 3 & 5’s Madhavaram Depot (wion
- Cut & cover section between Assisi Nagar Ramp and Venugopal Nagar (length not disclosed)
- L&T’s Bid: Rs. 1620 crore
- Final Contract Value: Rs. 1590 crore
- Duration: 36 months
- Deadline: November 2024
Brief Scope: Construction of approx. 10.2 km of elevated viaduct, elevated ramps and 11 nos elevated stations from Assissi Nagar to CMBT (excluding the underground portion from Retteri Ramp to Nathamuni Ramp) and cut and cover section, depot approach of approx. 1.5 kms and Venugopal Nagar underground station with verification of design suitability for construction including architectural finishes, plumbing works, signages and all associated works in Corridor 5.
This elevated section’s viaduct and 12 sections are right in the middle of Line-5. It consists of 2 disjointed sections on either side of the double-decker Package C4-ECV-01 (Power House – Porur) which was awarded to Larsen & Toubro in May 2021.
The two sections and other infrastructure within this package include:
- CMBT to Alwartiru Nagar (approx. 3.2 km) with 3 stations at Grain Market, Sai Nagar Bus Stop and Elango Nagar Bus Stop
- Porur Junction to Puzhuthivakkam (approx. 9 km) with 9 stations at Mugalivakkam, DLF IT SEZ, Sathya Nagar, CTC, Butt Road, Alandur, Adambakkam, Vanuvampet and Puzhuthivakkam
- Integrated grade separator (flyover) from Mugalivakkam to MIOT Hospital (approx. 2.5 km double decker viaduct for vehicles and metro trains, like the local one at Vadapalani or the one that opened in Nagpur late last year).
- Underpass at Vanuvampet
- L&T’s Bid: Rs. 1655.15 crore
- Final Contract Value: Rs. 1656 crore
- Duration: 36 months
- Deadline: November 2024
Brief Scope: Construction of Elevated Viaduct of Approx. 12.431 km length from ((Ch: 16178 m to 19296 m, Ch:22962 m to 30199 m, Ch: 31178m to 31241 m & Ch: 31657 m to 33710 m)) between CMBT Metro station (excluding station) and Puzhuthivakkam Metro Station including special spans and Construction of 12 no. of Elevated Stations at Grain Market, Sai Nagar Bus Stop, Elango Nagar Bus Stop, Mugalivakkam, DLF IT SEZ, Sathya Nagar, CTC, BUTT Road, Alandur, Adambakkam, Vanuvampet and Puzhuthivakkam and Integrated highway grade separator from Mugalivakkam to MIOT Hospital ,Vehicular underpass at Vanuvampet and all associated works in Corridor-5 of Chennai Metro Rail Project- Phase-2
With these 2 and the recent contract to HCC-KEC JV, CMRL has now awarded 4 out of 5 civil packages dedicated to Line-5. Here’s a list north to south:
|Package CP10-EV-03 – 10.2 km viaduct, 11 elevated stations and 1 underground station between CMBT and Venugopal Nagar||Awarded to L&T in Nov (this post!)|
|Package UG6 – 5.8 km underground section with 5 stations from Kolathur and Nathamuni||L&T is lowest bidder|
|Package C5-ECV-02 – 12.431 km elevated section from CMBT to Alwartiru Nagar and from Porur Junction to Puzhuthivakkam with 12 stations||Awarded to L&T in Nov (this post!)|
|Lines 4 & 5: Package C4-ECV-01 – 7.955 km elevated section from Power House to Porur Junction with 9 stations||Awarded to Larsen & Toubro in May 2021|
|Package C5-ECV-03 – 11.61 km elevated section with 11 stations from Puzhuthivakkam to Sholinganallur||Awarded to HCC-KEC in Nov 2021|
Basic ground-work related to site preparation and utility shifting can be expected to start in early 2022. A list of all Phase 2 civil packages and their status can be viewed here.