Last TBM Commissioned for Delhi Metro’s Magenta Line at Chirag Delhi
The last Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) to excavate & build the 23.807 km underground section of Delhi Metro’s 38.235 km Magenta line from Janakpuri W to Botanical Garden has been commissioned! Yesterday evening, the Pratibha-FEMC JV team for contract CC-23 of the Delhi Metro Phase 3 project started tunneling work for the 545m down-line tunnel from the Chirag Delhi station towards the Greater Kailash (GK) station, and completed building one temporary ring by midnight. Tunneling work for this section’s parallel up-line tunnel started on January 16.
Images from the Chirag Delhi station’s TBM launch shaft:
Parts of this TBM were lowered into the launch shaft in January. Here are a couple of images:
The distance between the Chirag Delhi and Greater Kailash stations is only 545m – one of the shortest on the line, so this TBM can be expected to make a breakthrough at Greater Kailash in May.
With this TBM on its way, there are now 9 TBMs operating on the following sections of the Magenta line:
|CC-23||Pratibha – FEMC||Greater Kailash||Nehru Enclave||Up-line & Down-line|
|CC-23||Pratibha – FEMC||Chirag Delhi||Greater Kailash||Up-line & Down-line|
|CC-23||Pratibha – FEMC||Chirag Delhi||Panchsheel Park||Down-line|
|CC-27||L&T – SUCG||Shankar Vihar||Aravali Mid-Shaft||Down-line|
|CC-27||L&T – SUCG||Vasant Vihar||Aravali Mid-Shaft||Down-line|
|CC-27||L&T – SUCG||Vasant Vihar||RK Puram Mid-Shaft||Up-line|
|CC-27||L&T – SUCG||Vasant Vihar||Munirka||Down-line|
Out of last 9 TBM breakthroughs, 3 of them are expected to take place towards the end of this month. In no particular order:
• At the Aravali mid-shaft from the Vasant Vihar station for the down-line tunnel. The parallel up-line tunnel was completed in January 2015. See: #TBT – Delhi Metro Completes Palam – Shankar Vihar Tunnels
• At the Panchsheel Park station from the Chirag Delhi station for the down-line tunnel. The parallel up-line tunnel was completed in December 2015. See: Delhi Metro TBM Makes a Breakthrough at Magenta Line’s Panchsheel Park Station
• At the Nehru Enclave station from the Greater Kailash station for the up-line tunnel. The parallel down-line tunnel has completed roughly 1/3rd of its journey and is expected to make a breakthrough in April.
For a detailed report with recent progress made on all Delhi Metro Phase 3 lines’ tunnels, please see my February 2016 Tunneling Update.
For more updates on Delhi Metro’s Phase III, please visit the Delhi section of The Metro Rail Guy!
Which all TBMs are yet to be commissioned for the Delhi metro’s PINK line?
Hi, there are 3 more left:
• CC-04 – 2 TBMs from the Majlis Park shaft to Rameshwar Nagar mid-shaft in order to complete the balance work for both up-line & down-line tunnels between Majlis Park and Azadpur stations
• CC-18 – 1 TBM from the RK Puram shaft on the Ring road to Bhikaji Cama Place station for the down-line tunnel