9 construction firms have submitted tenders (bids) to build Bangalore Metro’s 18.236 km Silkboard – KR Puram section of the ORR Line (Line-5 / Blue Line) after officials from the Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (BMRCL) opened tenders on Friday afternoon to reveal the list of bidders.
BMRCL had re-invited civil construction bids in 2 sub-packages or lots in December 2019 after a round of failed bidding between 2018-2019. During that time, BMRCL was unable to achieve financial closure and the lowest bidder for all 3 packages, IL&FS Engineering and Construction Company Limited, was hit by financial troubles.
The 1st package (Silkboard – Kodibeesanahalli) includes a 9.859 km viaduct, 6 elevated stations and a roughly 2.84 km long flyover with loops at Central Silkboard. The 2nd package (Kodibeesanahalli – KR Puram) includes a 8.377 km viaduct, 7 elevated stations, a 1.097 km depot-line linking to the existing Baiyapanahalli Depot and a 0.30 km pocket track.
More information on both packages is at the bottom of this post.
• Afcons Infra – Package 1 & 2
• L&T – Package 1 & 2
• GR Infra – Package 1 & 2
• NCC – Package 1 & 2
• Gayatri Projects – Package 1 & 2
• Vijay Nirman – Sunway (JV) – Package 1 only
• ITD Cem – Package 2 only
• Shankaranarayana – Package 2 only
• GGHB – CVCC (JV) – Package 2 only
The bids have now been sent for technical evaluation which can take a couple months to complete. When that is done, the financial bids of the technically qualified bidders will be opened to reveal who’s the lowest bidder(s) and most likely contractor(s) of the line.
The new round of bidding has the line split up in 2 packages or lots, each with a completion period of 27 months.
Package 1- PHASE 2A/P1/60(a):
• BMRCL’s Estimate: Rs. 731.18 Crores
• Scope: “Construction of elevated structures (Viaduct & Stations) of length 9.859 km from Chainage 0.000 m to 9859.000 m and 6 Nos of elevated metro stations viz, Central Silk Board, HSR layout, Agara, Ibbalur, Bellandur, Kadubeesanahalli including road widening, Utility diversion and allied works of Bengaluru Metro Rail Project Phase-2A”.
“Construction of loops, ramps for road flyover at Central Silk Board junction of approx. length of 2.84 Km including Road widening & allied works in Reach5 line (R5/P4) of Bengaluru Metro Rail Project, Phase-2.”
Package 2 – PHASE 2A/P2/60(b)
• BMRCL’s Estimate: Rs. 594.25 Crores
• Scope: “Construction of elevated structures (Viaduct & Stations) of length 9.774 km from Chainage 9859.000 m to 18236.000 m and 7 Nos of elevated metro stations viz, Kodibeesanahalli, Marathahalli, ISRO, Doddanekundi, DRDO sports complex, Saraswathi Nagar and K R Puram including 1.097 km length link line to Baiyappanahalli Depot, 0.30 km length Pocket track, Road widening, Utility diversion and allied works of Bengaluru Metro Rail Project Phase -2A”
The line’s construction, as part of Phase 2A, is being funded through an official development assistance (ODA) loan by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) which also plans to finance the line’s 38 km extension to the Bangalore Airport (KIAL) in Devanahalli through Hebbal and Yelahanka as part of Phase 2B.
For more updates, check out the Bangalore section of The Metro Rail Guy!