Bangalore Metro Phase 2A – Information, Route Maps, Tenders & Updates
Phase 2A Information
Bangalore (Namma) Metro’s Phase 2A project with one new 18.236 km elevated line, connecting KR Puram with Central Silkboard along the Outer Ring Road (ORR), was first announced at the Invest Karnataka Summit in February 2016 and is planned to be constructed along with the 73.92 km Phase 2 project.
Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. invited bids for geotechnical investigation and DGPS, topographic, land & property surveys in June 2016. The line’s Detailed Project Report (DPR), prepared by BMRCL’s in-house team, was revealed in November 2016 and estimates the line’s construction & system procurement to cost Rs 4202 crores.
The Karnataka government’s cabinet approved the project’s DPR in March 2017. Back then, instead of relying on foreign lenders, the BMRCL had planned to fund this line through what it called an “innovative financing model” in which private entities would have been engaged to pitch in anywhere from 25% to 50% of the line’s construction cost (Rs. 1100-2100 crores) and in return be granted exclusive advertising and leasing rights within the stations to monetize on their investment. By February 2018, BMRCL had only signed only 2 MoUs worth approximately Rs 100 crore each.
In 2018-2019, the BMRCL invited bids for the line’s construction in 3 packages. During that time, BMRCL was unable to achieve financial closure and the lowest bidder for all 3 packages, IL&FS Engineering and Construction Company Limited, was hit by financial troubles.
In December 2019, BMRCL re-invited tenders for its construction. Technical bids were opened in March 2020 to reveal 9 bidders, and financial bids were opened in October to reveal Afcons Infrastructure and Shankarnarayana Construction as the lowest bidders.
- BMRCL’s Current Phase 2A Deadline: 2023
- My Completion Estimate: 2027
Phase 2A and Phase 2B (KR Puram – Yelahanka – Bangalore Airport) will be funded through a $500 million loan by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) which was approved by its board in December 2020. In addition, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is currently evaluating a $318 million loan as well.
Phase 2A’s Funding
Estimated Cost: Rs. 5,227.35 crore
- ADB: Rs. 1,479.46 crore
- JICA: Rs. 893 crore (preliminary negotiation)
- PPP Sources: Rs. 600 crore
- State Govt: Rs. 1,690.46 crore
- Central Govt: Rs. 734.22 crore
Line-5 (Blue Line): KR Puram – Central Silkboard
- Length: 18.236 km
- Type: Elevated
- Number of Stations: 13
- Station Names: KR Puram (interchange with the under construction Purple Line), Mahadevpura, DRDO Sports Complex, Doddanakundi, ISRO, Marathahalli, Kodibisanahalli, Kadubeesanahalli, Bellandur, Ibbalur, Agara Lake, HSR Layout, Silk Board (interchange with the upcoming Yellow Line).
- Depot: Trains on the ORR line will be stabled and & maintained at the existing Baiyappanahalli Depot. Some of the Purple Line’s existing stabling lines will be re-purposed for this line and due to that, a new depot for the Purple Line will be built at Kadugodi near Hope Farm Junction (view suggested layout) where government land is available. At a later stage, the Baiyappanahalli Depot will exclusively be used by this new line’s trains while the Purple Line’s trains will be stabled & maintained at Kadugodi Depot and Challaghatta Depot.
- Rolling Stock: BMRCL plans to initially procure 120 coaches (20 train-sets x 6 coaches), and operate them in a DMC-TC-MC+MC-TC-DMC formation from the get-go.
For more information, see the line’s Detailed Project Report.
Phase 2A Route Map
The embedded map below shows the exact location of all stations and can be zoomed into!
An official PDF route map of Bangalore Metro Phase 2A will be added here when available.
Key for map below: Phase 1 | Phase 2 | Phase 2A | Phase 2B
Phase 2A Tenders
Phase 2A’s Contractors
|DGPS, Topographic, Land & Property Survey||Unicorn Surveys|
|Geotechnical Investigation on Outer Ring Road||Geo Quest Incorp|
|Additional Geotechnical investigation||Myrtle Project and Consultancy Pvt. Ltd.|
|Partial and Full demolition/dismantling of buildings/structures||BR Chawla|
|Shifting of BESCOM Utilities infringing the Elevated Metro Corridor (Viaduct & Stations)||Vijaya Energy Plus Pvt. Ltd. and RK Associates|
|Modification of existing 220kV and 66kV, Electrical Power Transmission Lines||Sri Maruthi Electricals|
|Detailed Design Consultant (DDC)||SMEC International Pty. Ltd|
|Package Phase 2A/P1/60(A): Construction of 9.859 km viaduct, 6 elevated stations, and 2.84 km Central Silk Board flyover with ramps||Afcons Infrastructure is lowest bidder|
|Package Phase 2A/P2/60(B): Construction of 9.774 km elevated viaduct from chainage 9859.000 m to 18236.000 m, 7 elevated metro stations, 1.097 km length link line to Baiyappanahalli Depot, and 0.30 km length Pocket track||Shankaranarayana Constructions is lowest Bidder|
Click on ‘News & Construction Updates’ below for project news, progress and updates.
Page last updated: December 25, 2020. Spot an issue? Let me know here.