Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) today opened technical bids for completing pending (balance) construction work on three packages of Mumbai Metro’s 23.6 km Line-2B (Yellow Line) to reveal that 8 firms had submitted a total of 14 bids.
MMRDA had invited bids in February 2020 right after terminating 3 contracts in January, originally awarded to Simplex Infrastructures and RCC – MBZ JV, due to poor progress on key performance indicators.
Package: L2B-C101: D.N. Nagar – MTNL in BKC
• Scope: Part design and Construction of (Balance Works of Package CA04R) Elevated Viaduct and 10 Elevated Stations viz. ESIC Nagar, Prem Nagar, Indra Nagar, Nanawati Hospital, Khira Nagar, Saraswat NaGAR, National College, Bandra, Income Tax Office & ILFS [excluding Architectural Finishing & Pre-Engineered Steel Roof Structure of Stations] from Chainage 34035.873m to Chainage 46860.384 OF Line2B [DN. Nagar – Mandale] of Mumbai Metro Rail Project of MMRDA
• Estimated Cost: Rs 1058.71 crore
• Completion Period: 30 months
• Prior Contractor: Simplex Infrastructures (lowest bidder in November 2017)
• Bidders (4): Larsen & Toubro, Afcons Infrastructure, J Kumar Infraprojects and NCC
Package: L2B-C102: MTNL in BKC – Chembur
• Scope: Part design and Construction of (Balance Works of Package CA06) Elevated Viaduct and 5 Elevated Stations viz. MTNL Metro, S.G. Barve Marg, Kurla East, EEH & Chembur [Excluding Architectural Finishing & Pre-Engineered Steel Roof Structure of Stations] from Chainage 46860.384 to Chainage 52729.312 of Line 2B [D.N. Nagar – Mandale] of Mumbai Metro Rail Project of MMRDA
• Estimated Cost: Rs 474.52 crore
• Completion Period: 30 months
• Prior Contractor: RCC Infra Ventures Ltd. – MBZ JV (lowest bidder in February 2018)
• Bidders (4): Larsen & Toubro, J Kumar Infraprojects, NCC and Tata Projects
Package: L2B-C103: Mandale Depot
• Scope: Construction of (Balance Civil works of CA-14) Mandale Depot [including Architectural Finishing works and excluding Pre-Engineered Structure works] of Line 2B Corridor [D.N. Nagar to Mandale] of Mumbai Metro Rail Project of MMRDA
• Estimated Cost: Rs 464.75 crore
• Completion Period: 42 months
• Prior Contractor: RCC Infra Ventures Ltd. – MBZ JV (lowest bidder in November 2017)
• Bidders (6) : Afcons Infrastructure, Ajwani Infrastructure, Capacite Infraprojects, NCC, J Kumar Infraprojects and Relcon Infraprojects.
The depot at Mandale will be the second maintenance depot (car shed) of the entire 42.2 km Line-2 and become the largest in Mumbai when built. Its development is crucial since the first depot at Malvani in Malad West will temporarily also service Line-7’s BEML trains.
Per the plan, Mandale Depot will have a double-decker structure to stable a maximum of 72 trains of 8-coaches (total 576), and will come along with staff quarters, 9 inspection bays and 15 workshop lines.
The bids have now been sent for technical evaluation which can take a couple months to complete. When that is done, the financial bids of the technically qualified bidders will be opened to reveal who’s the lowest bidder for each package and most likely contractors.
Line-2B has gone through several rounds of rebidding over the past 3 years, and with the developments leading to this new round of bidding – I see parts of it opening up not prior to 2023.
For more updates, check out the Mumbai section of The Metro Rail Guy!