L&T Wins 2 Chennai Metro Phase 2 Contracts for Line-5
Larsen & Toubro today emerged as the lowest bidder for 2 elevated contracts of the new 47 km Line-5 which will connect Madhavaram – Sholinganallur through 48 stations in the 118.9 km Chennai Metro Phase 2 project.
L&T was the only bidder for Packages CP-10-EV-03 and C5-ECV-02 when technical bids were opened in mid-July, so it was fairly obvious they’d be the lowest bidder when Chennai Metro Rail Ltd (CMRL) moved on to technical bid evaluation and onward to the financial bid opening stages.
- CP-10-EV-03: 10.2 km CMBT – Venugopal Nagar with 1 underground and 11 elevated stations
- C5-ECV-02: 12.431 km CMBT – Puzhuthivakkam with 12 elevated stations
This package consists of 1 underground and 11 elevated stations at the northern-end of Line-5. It consists of 2 disjointed sections on either side of the underground Package UG6 (Kolathur – Nathamnuni) for which L&T is the only bidder. The two sections and other infra include:
- CMBT to Nathamuni Ramp – 5 stations at CMBT, Kaliamman Koil Street Junction, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Thirumangalam & Anna Nagar Depot
- Retteri Ramp to Venugopal Nagar – 7 stations at Retteri Junction, Shastri Nagar, MMBT, Velmurugan Nagar, Manjambakkam, Assisi Nagar & Venugopal Nagar (underground)
- 1.5 km depot-line to lines 3 & 5’s Madhavaram Depot (6 bids received today)
- Cut & cover section between Assisi Nagar Ramp and Venugopal Nagar (length not disclosed)
CMRL invited bids for this package in February with a 36 month deadline and an undisclosed estimate.
L&T’s Bid (unconfirmed): Rs. 1909.60 crore OR Rs. 1620 crore
Tender No.: CMRL/CON/PHASE-II/CORRIDOR5/CP10-EV-03/2021
Brief Scope: Construction of approx. 10.2 km of elevated viaduct, elevated ramps and 11 nos elevated stations from Assissi Nagar to CMBT (excluding the underground portion from Retteri Ramp to Nathamuni Ramp) and cut and cover section, depot approach of approx. 1.5 kms and Venugopal Nagar underground station with verification of design suitability for construction including architectural finishes, plumbing works, signages and all associated works in Corridor 5.
This elevated section’s viaduct and 12 sections are right in the middle of Line-5. It consists of 2 disjointed sections on either side of the double-decker Package C4-ECV-01 (Power House – Porur) which was awarded to Larsen & Toubro in May 2021.
The two sections and other infrastructure within this package include:
- CMBT to Alwartiru Nagar (approx. 3.2 km) with 3 stations at Grain Market, Sai Nagar Bus Stop and Elango Nagar Bus Stop
- Porur Junction to Puzhuthivakkam (approx. 9 km) with 9 stations at Mugalivakkam, DLF IT SEZ, Sathya Nagar, CTC, Butt Road, Alandur, Adambakkam, Vanuvampet and Puzhuthivakkam
- Integrated grade separator (flyover) from Mugalivakkam to MIOT Hospital (approx. 2.5 km double decker viaduct for vehicles and metro trains, like the local one at Vadapalani or the one that opened in Nagpur late last year).
- Underpass at Vanuvampet
CMRL invited tenders for its construction in January 2021 with an undisclosed estimate and 36 month deadline.
L&T’s Bid (unconfirmed): Rs. 1655.15 crore
Tender No.: CMRL/PHASE II/CORRIDOR 5/C5-ECV-02
Brief Scope: Construction of Elevated Viaduct of Approx. 12.431 km length from ((Ch: 16178 m to 19296 m, Ch:22962 m to 30199 m, Ch: 31178m to 31241 m & Ch: 31657 m to 33710 m)) between CMBT Metro station (excluding station) and Puzhuthivakkam Metro Station including special spans and Construction of 12 no. of Elevated Stations at Grain Market, Sai Nagar Bus Stop, Elango Nagar Bus Stop, Mugalivakkam, DLF IT SEZ, Sathya Nagar, CTC, BUTT Road, Alandur, Adambakkam, Vanuvampet and Puzhuthivakkam and Integrated highway grade separator from Mugalivakkam to MIOT Hospital ,Vehicular underpass at Vanuvampet and all associated works in Corridor-5 of Chennai Metro Rail Project- Phase-2
L&T’s bid values remain unconfirmed and CMRL’s estimate are still unknown to me, so it’s difficult to provide an assessment on how their bid is placed. If someone is aware then just drop a comment below or send me a message using the contact page. I hear from a trusted source L&T’s bid is well placed around CMRL’s estimate and “they will get it”. When there’s more clarity, I’ll update this space.
A list of all Phase 2 civil packages and their status can be viewed here.
For more updates, check out the Chennai section or my Home Page!
They will win 90% contracts and leave breadcrumbs for others
L&T is the alpha chad that everyone wants in their city
That’s why Chennai Metro’s construction is progressing this quickly
So happy that l&t is bagging most of the contracts! Hope works will start by the end of this year! What do you think tmrg?
If awarded, then pre-construction activities should start in December and actual construction early next year
It would be better if CMRL stops wasting time in the bidding process and award all the contracts to L&T. They clearly know that no other company is interested in working with them. Lol
How will the elevated line run after st Thomas mount area. Above the mrts line or along the mrts flyover?
479 meter section will be shared (metro on top) between St. Thomas Mount and Adambakkam stations. More here:
L&T Wins 2 Chennai Metro Phase 2 Contracts for Line-5
What will be the actual Contract Value of ths???
Unconfirmed values are mentioned in the post. Still haven’t received clarity.
Shanghai Tunnel will win Line4 Underground Package.
How do you know that bro?
LT starting a 40 acre office space project opposite to DLF ramapuram. And taking the same line 5 metro Madhavaram-poruru-sholibganallur . Gona Beneficial for them