All seven previously shortlisted global project management consortia have submitted tenders (bids) for Chennai Metro Line-4’s General Consultant (GC) contract, after officials from Chennai Metro Rail Ltd. (CMRL) this afternoon opened technical bids for this service.
Chennai’s new 26.09 km east-west Line-4 of the 118.9 km Chennai Metro Phase 2 project will connect Lighthouse with Poonamallee Bypass via Porur through 30 stations – 18 elevated and 12 underground.
CMRL had originally invited EOI proposals / applications on January 11, 2020 to assign a General Consultant with an objective to assist with design, supervision, safety, quality control and contract management.
On June 16, CMRL received EOI applications from 9 bidders out of which 2 did not qualify – (1) JV of M/s Auding Intraesa SA Spain, M/s Tata Consulting Engineers Limited, India and M/s STUP Consultants Pvt. Ltd, India., (2) JV of M/s Dar Al-Handasah Consultants (Shair and Partners) s.a.l. (DAR), Balaji Railroad Systems Pvt. Ltd. (BARSYL) and China Railway Eryuan Engineering Group Co. Ltd. (CREEC).
Following that, CMRL in August published a notice requesting technical and financial proposals from the 7 shortlisted bidders.
- JV of M/s AECOM Asia Company Ltd., M/s Systra and M/s. Consulting Engineers Group Ltd.
- JV of M/s Egis Rail SA, M/s MM SPA, M/s Italferr SPA and M/s Surbano Jurong Infrastructure Pte Ltd
- JV of M/s Louis Berger SAS, M/s Geodata Engineering SpA and M/s Hill International Inc
- JV of M/s TPF Getinsa Eurostudios S.L, M/s Artelia SAS & M/s Rodic Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
- JV of M/s RITES Ltd, M/s Nippon Koei India Pvt. Ltd, M/s Nippon Koei Co. Ltd, M/s Arup India Pvt. Ltd and Ove Arup & Partners International Ltd.
- JV of DB Engineering & Consulting GmbH, Ayesa Ingeniería y Arquitectura, S.A.U, Korea Rail Network Authority and Dohwa Engineering Co. Ltd
- JV of M/s RINA Consulting SPA and Yuksel Proje Uluslararasi A.S
The GC’s selection is planned to be made on the Quality cum Cost Basis System (QCBS) method, with the winner scoring the highest points in Technical and Financial evaluation combined together.
This consultancy service and the line’s 2 elevated packages (details below) will be financed by the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB). In December 2019, AIIB approved a concept proposal to lend USD 356.65 million (approx. Rs. 2700 crore) to finance a part of its construction including support and technical assistance required by CMRL.
Bidding is currently underway for 2 civil packages of this line:
- Package C4-ECV-01: Power House to Porur Junction (7.955 km, 9 stations). Status: CMRL received 3 bids from L&T, NCC and HCC-KEC JV in October
- Package C4-ECV-02: Porur – Poonamallee Bypass (7.945 km, 9 stations). Status: Technical bids are planned to be opened on November 10.
Tender notice(s) are still pending for Line-4’s 10.07 km underground section connecting Light House with Meenakshi College. That section with at least 2 packages will be financed by the Asian Development Bank (ADB), and per their project sheet – their team is supposed to conduct a fact-finding tour from 23 November to 27 November and place the project for the board’s approval on March 3, 2021.
For more updates, check out the Chennai section of The Metro Rail Guy!