Moments ago, Tunnel Boring Machine T62 (Tapi-2) operated by J Kumar Infraprojects – China Railway Tunnel Group JV recorded a breakthrough at CSI Airport’s Terminal 1 Domestic Station’s northern-end on Mumbai Metro’s 33.5 km Aqua Line (Line-3).
This was T62’s 3rd and final breakthrough, J Kumar – CRTG’s sixth and final breakthough for the 4.45km Santa Cruz Mid Ventilation Shaft – CSIA Terminal 2 Package UGC-06, and overall Mumbai Metro Line-3’s 36th TBM breakthrough.
Today’s development is significant as now all TBM tunneling works have been completed for a distance of approximately 21.80 km from Science Museum in South Bombay to Sariput Nagar ramp at the mouth of Aarey Colony where the line’s depot was originally planned.
T62 – a Ø6.68m dual-mode Terratec TBM had passed factory acceptance tests in March 2018 and was commissioned in September 2018 to build both twin tunnels between CSIA T2 – Sahar Road stations. TBM breakthroughs were recorded in February 2019 (692m downline tunnel) and August 2019 (687m upline tunnel)
For its final assignment that ended today – the machine was commissioned from Sahar Road Station towards Terminal 1 in December 2019 to build the 1516 meter up-line tunnel which loops around the airport’s Runway 14/32.
With this development, tunneling works on 5 out of 7 underground civil packages have been wrapped up –
- UGC-02: CST – Mumbai Central (4.049 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM T59 (Vaitarna-2) in April 2020
- UGC-04: Worli – Dharavi (6.08 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM S1073 (Krishna-1) in December 2020
- UGC-05: Dharavi – MVS near CSIA T1 (4.94 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM S64 (Godavari-4) in August 2020
- UGC-06: Santa Cruz MVS – CSI T2 (4.45km) – Final breakthrough recorded by T62 (Tapi 2) today!
- UGC-07: CSIA T2 – Sariput Ramp (4.157 km) – Final breakthrough recorded by TBM D213 (Wainganga-2) in December 2019.
With 36 breakthroughs completed, there are now 6 more breakthroughs pending on Mumbai Metro’s Line-3:
|UGC-01||Hutatma Chowk – CST (up-line)||551m, In Progress|
|UGC-01||Hutatma Chowk – CST (down-line)||556m, In Progress|
|UGC-03||Science Museum – Mahalaxmi (up-line)||1118m, In Progress|
|UGC-03||Mahalaxmi – Mumbai Central (up-line)||837m, Not Started|
|UGC-03||Science Museum – Mahalaxmi (down-line)||1136m, In Progress|
|UGC-03||Mahalaxmi – Mumbai Central (down-line)||830m, Not Started|
For more updates, check out my Home Page!