Australia-based tunnel boring machine (TBM) manufacturer Terratec yesterday completed factory acceptance tests (FAT) for the fifth and final new TBM at their Guangzhou facility in China which will be used to build a section of Mumbai Metro’s 33.5 km Line-3 tunnels.
Christened T62, this Ø6.68m dual-mode TBM will be deployed by the J Kumar Infraprojects – China Railway Tunnel Group JV along with 2 other (1st, 2nd) new dual-mode hard rock TBMs and 2 refurbished TBMs to build twin tunnels on the line’s 4.94 km package UGC-05 (Dharavi Station – CSIA T1 TBM receiving shaft) and 4.45 km package UGC-06 (CSIA T1 Station – CSIA T2 receiving shaft) which were awarded by the Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. in July 2016.
As per the tunneling plan which might change, T62 will first be commissioned from CSIA T2 Station towards Sahar Road Station for building the 693m up-line tunnel and will then be dismantled, transported back & relaunched again on the same stretch for building the down-line tunnel.
• Package UGC-01 – None
• Package UGC-02 – 2 Terratec TBMs (1st, 2nd) in China (new)
• Package UGC-03 – 1 Robbins TBM in Singapore (refurbished)
• Package UGC-04 – 3 Herrenknecht TBMs (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in China (new)
• Package UGC-05/06 – 2 Terratec TBMs in Delhi (refurbished) + 3 Terratec TBMs (1st, 2nd, 3rd – this post) in China (new)
• Package UGC-07 – 2 STEC TBMs in Singapore (refurbished) + 1 STEC TBM in China (new)
Terratec has now completed FAT for all 7 TBMs on order – 5 new and 2 refurbished machines. Robbins still has to complete FAT for 2 new Crossover XRE machines for use on package UGC-01 and 1 NFM Slurry machine for use on package UGC-03.
For more updates, check out the Mumbai section of The Metro Rail Guy!