China-based tunnel boring machine (TBM) manufacturer Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Company (
Named D215, this Ø6.68m dual-mode TBM is part of a 3 TBM order (2 other refurbished TBMs passed FAT in August) and will be deployed by Larsen & Toubro and Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Company (L&T – STEC JV) to build twin tunnels on the line’s 4.157 km package UGC-07, between Marol Naka – MIDC – SEEPZ – Aarey Colony Ramp, which was awarded by the Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. in July 2016.
As per the tunneling plan, TBM D215 will exclusively be deployed to build the 570m up-line and 570m down-line tunnels between Aarey Colony’s Ramp Shaft and SEEPZ Station, located on the northern-end of the line –
• Package UGC-01 – None
• Package UGC-02 – 2 Terratec TBMs (1st, 2nd) in China (new)
• Package UGC-03 – 1 Robbins TBM in Singapore (refurbished)
• Package UGC-04 – 3 Herrenknecht TBMs (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in China (new)
• Package UGC-05/06 – 2 Terratec TBMs in Delhi (refurbished) + 2 Terratec TBMs (1st, 2nd) in China (new)
• Package UGC-07 – 2 STEC TBMs in Singapore (refurbished) + 1 STEC TBM in China (new)
Robbins still has to complete FAT for 2 new cross-over TBMs for use on package UGC-01 and 1 NFM Slurry TBM for use on package UGC-03, while Terratec has FAT pending for 1 new dual-mode TBM for use on package UGC-05/06.
For more updates, check out the Mumbai section of The Metro Rail Guy!