2016 Recap – Progress of India’s Metro Systems
First off, here’s wishing everyone a Happy New Year! 🙂
As 2016 comes to an end, it’s a good time to recap the busy year that just passed by. I’ve updated the Quick Snapshot page‘s chart to display current operational, under construction, proposed and approved figures for all systems which are under construction.
The award for the most improved metro system in 2016 goes to Mumbai where construction on 3 lines (2, 3, 7) totaling 68.6 km started in the 2nd half. Chennai added 9.9 km of metro routes to its network – the most by any system in India. Delhi, the largest of all systems, had a busy 2015 with the opening of 3 sections of the 160 km Phase 3, but didn’t see any line openings in 2016 due to a lack of timely approvals, poor contractor progress and tunneling difficulties. Bangalore opened its first underground stretch in April and ended the year on a remarkable note with its operator inviting bids for 3 stretches of the Phase 2 project which’ll ensure the start of construction for another 37.431 km of metro lines in Q4 of next year. Trial runs in Lucknow started on December 1 as its operator had originally announced in 2014. The system is being targeted to open in March next year and will go on to be the fastest metro project to be commissioned.
Highlights of 2016
• Operationalization of 14.7 km of new metro lines in 2 cities – 4.8 km in Bangalore and 9.9 km (8.6 km, 1.3 km) in Chennai
• Commencement of trial runs on 66.87 km of new metro lines in 6 cities – 8 km in Bangalore, 8 km in Chennai, 28.37 (23 km, 5.37 km) in Delhi, 7 km in Gurgaon, 9 km in Kochi and 6.5 km in Lucknow.
• Start of construction for 121.696 km of new metro lines in 6 cities – 9.47 km (4.62 km, 4.85 km) in Ahmedabad, 11.16 km (4.869 km, 6.29 km) in Bangalore, 2.4 km in Chennai, 12.07 km (3.44 km, 8.63 km) in Lucknow, 68.6 km (33.5 km, 18.6 km, 16.5 km) in Mumbai and 18 km (7.61 km & 10.387 km) in Nagpur
• Saw new rolling stock designs being unveiled for Kolkata, Navi Mumbai and Noida as well as the roll-out of new trains for Delhi, Lucknow and Kochi.
Here are some of the biggest news/updates from each city:
Ahmedabad – view all updates here
• Pier Casting Work Begins on Ahmedabad’s Motera – Ranip Stretch
• Pier Work Begins for Ahmedabad Metro’s North-South Line
• L&T Emerges as Lowest Bidder for Ahmedabad Metro’s UG Section
Bangalore – view all updates here
• [Pics] Bangalore Metro Starts Underground Metro Operations
• TBM Krishna Makes Final Breakthrough for Bangalore Metro’s Phase 1
• BMRCL Reveals Silk Board – KR Puram Line’s Detailed Project Report
• BMRCL Pulls Metro Train through Green Line’s New Tunnels
• BMRCL Invites Bids for Bangalore’s Kundalahalli – Whitefield Section
• BMRCL Invites Bids for Bangalore’s HSR Layout – RV Road Stretch
• 1st Segment Launched for Bangalore Metro’s Anjanapura Extension
Chennai – view all updates here
• CMRL Extends Chennai Metro’s Trial Runs to Shenoy Nagar
• Chennai Metro’s Washermenpet – Korrukupet Project Launched
• [Pics] Chennai Metro’s Airport – Little Mount Section Inaugurated
• Operations Begin on Chennai Metro’s Alandur – St. Thomas Mount Stretch
• TBM S718 Makes a Breakthrough at Chennai Metro’s Central Station
Delhi – view all updates here
• [Pics] New Hyundai Rotem Trains Flagged Off for Delhi’s Pink Line
• Delhi Metro Begins Trial Runs Between ITO & Kashmere Gate
• DMRC Extends Magenta Line Trial Runs to Botanical Garden Station
• Final Double TBM Breakthrough Achieved for Delhi Metro’s Pink Line
• Final TBM Breakthrough Achieved for Delhi Metro’s Magenta Line
• DMRC Invites Geotechnical Bids for Delhi Metro’s Phase 4 Lines
• DMRC Starts Trial Runs on Magenta Line’s Janakpuri – Airport Section
Hyderabad – view all updates here
• CMRS Approves Hyderabad Metro’s Miyapur – SR Nagar Stretch
Kanpur – view all updates here
• SYSTRA Wins Kanpur Metro Line 1’s DDC Contract
• Foundation Stone Unveiled for Kanpur Metro Project
Kochi – view all updates here
• Kochi Metro’s First Train Unveiled & Flagged Off from Alstom’s Sri City Plant
• Kochi Metro Begins Trial Runs Between Muttom & Kalamassery
• [Pics] RDSO Conducts Test Runs to Assess Kochi Metro
Kolkata – view all updates here
• RITES to Design Kolkata’s 3-Line Interchange at Esplanade
• 1st TBM Commissioned from Howrah Maidan for Kolkata’s Metro
• 1st Refurbished Non-AC Train Rejoins Kolkata Metro
• 2nd TBM Commissioned from Howrah Maidan for Kolkata’s Metro
Lucknow – view all updates here
• Lucknow Metro Completes Pushing Truss Bridge Over Avadh Rotary
• Tata – Gülermak Awarded Contract for Lucknow’s Underground Section
• L&T Awarded Lucknow Metro’s KDSB-Munshipulia Stretch
• Terratec Reveals Lucknow Metro’s Tunneling Plan
• Alstom Unveils & Hands Over 1st Train-Set to Lucknow Metro
• Trial Runs on Lucknow Metro’s NS Line Flagged Off
Mumbai – view all updates here
• MMRCL Awards Contracts for Mumbai Metro’s Line 3
• Groundbreaking Ceremonies Conducted for Mumbai Metro’s Line 3
• Piling Work Begins for Mumbai Metro’s Line-2
• PM Modi Unveils Foundation Stone for Mumbai Metro’s Line-2B & Line-4
• J Kumar Completes Casting 1st Pier for Mumbai Metro’s Line-7
Nagpur – view all updates here
• Nagpur Metro Unveils Zero Mile & Sitaburdi Metro Stations’ Designs
• 1st Precast Segment Launched for Nagpur Metro Project
• CRRC Wins Nagpur Metro’s 69 Coach Rolling Stock Contract
• Nagpur Metro Demolishes Flyover for New Double Decker Structure
• Nagpur Metro’s Elevated Reach 3 Project Launched
Noida & Greater Noida – view all updates here
• Largest Pier Cap in India Cast for Noida Metro
• Noida – Gr. Noida Metro Line to be Named Aqua Line
• CEC-SAM JV Launches Record 218 U-Girders in Oct for Noida Metro
• Preliminary Design of Noida Metro’s CRRC Trains Unveiled
Patna – view all updates here
• Bihar’s Cabinet Approves Rs 16960 cr 30.92 km Patna Metro
Pune – view all updates here
• Central Govt Approves Pune Metro’s Phase 1 Project
• PM Modi Unveils Foundation Stone for Pune Metro Project
Vijayawada – view all updates here
• DMRC Reinvites Civil Construction Bids for Vijayawada Metro
Have I missed out on anything? On another note, I’m always looking for suggestions & feedback on how I’m doing, so please feel free to drop me a message below in the comments section or send me a message via the contact page.
See you all in 2017! ?
For more metro updates, check out my Home Page!
Great job u r doing,i think 2017 vil b front leader in commissioning of new lines on tat wish u a very happy New year dear,God bless you
Happy New Year TMRG
Hope Hyderabad Metro will start many stretches in 2017.
You missed one, TMRG you did one hell of a job in 2016 !! 😛 Thank you, and have a great 2017.
Awesome summary TMRG.. you are doing an excellent job in conveying correct state of metro progress for various cities.. happy new yr 2017
Happy New Year to you too TMRG. I love your site 🙂
I wish delhi has a 300 km network at the end of 2017. Probably that would make all your negative views about DMRC to turn positive..still happy new year TMRG.
Fantastic summary post as usual TMRG !! wish you also a happy 2017.
Which city was the most disappointing in progress in 2016?
I’d say Navi Mumbai
Can you draft a similar city-by-city summary of expectable progress / completions in 2017?
Hi, due to so many variables at play and the nature of construction/approvals in India, this won’t be an easy task. Anyhow, here’s a quick list. I’m expecting roughly 100 km to open up in 2017:
1) Delhi – 5.37 km (ITO – Kashmere Gate) and 13 km (Kalkaji – Botanical Garden) in Q2. The Kalkaji – Janakpuri section (25km) could open right at the end of the year in Dec, but I believe it’ll open only in 2018.
2) Bangalore – 12 km (Sampige Road – Yelachenahalli) in Q4 – this might spill into 2018
3) Chennai – 8 km (Koyambedu – Nehru Park) – will open in Q2
4) Gurgaon – 7 km (Sikanderpur – Sec 55/56) – will open in Q2
5) Hyderabad – 8 km (Nagole – Mettuguda) & 12km (Miyapur – SR Nagar) are ready and could open in November if the operator & govt agree to do so.
6) Kochi – 13 km (Aluva – Palarivottom) – will open in Q2
7) Lucknow – 8.5 km (Transport Nagar – Charbagh) – will open in March/Q2
8) Noida – 30km (Sector 71 – Depot) – targeted to open in Q4
Fantastic work. Couldn’t have been better. Have a great 2017.
Wish you a happy and great new year 2017.
Hope our BMRCL does some miracle and open some more sections of Phase 1 soon.
For people like me who stay near Marathahalli and go to whitefield every day , life will become even for challenging as both ORR metro line and Byappanahalli metro extension will start soon.
I can easily visualize two hours jam at Graphite junction or at Marathahalli bridge which will be the new norm for next 4 years. May be people like us should celebrate only in 2020 or 2021 when both these lines will be finished.
Coinciding with an aggressive Telangana to attract investments, and a general decline of Indian IT (offshore services) in terms of hiring, I am afraid that this may spell the death knell for Bangalore IT.
With so many metros all together going into construction together in different cities are there enough manpower skills available among different bidding companies to take up the projects and complete on time ?
I don’t believe that’s a limiting factor as bidding companies regularly fill gaps by poaching employees from other companies or through regular hiring after being awarded a contract. I find company culture to be a lot more important and that usually dictates project progress, site/worker safety and infra quality.
Happy new year to you!!
I see very sparse updates on Kolkata Metro on your page. For other Metros even awarding of contracts etc are mentioned but in case of Kolkata there is rarely any news. Lot of work is going on, I would request you to share those developments as well.
Hi Niladri, HNY to you! Due to so many land acquisition issues and the general nature of how the lines are structured in Kolkata with the moribund IR calling the shots, tracking progress or receiving updates straight from the contractors hasn’t been an easy task. From time to time I do share news links via my Twitter feed. If you have something you’d like to share with me, then please send a message using the Contact Me page – I’d love to write more.
Alongwith these updates, can you also show a graph of how each of the metro systems are doing in terms of sticking to their deadlines. What was the original deadlines at the time of giving contracts and what are the delays we are seeing currently. I am sure BMRCL should be at the bottom of the list.
I have been following you from long and you are doing excellent job. Can you please share the latest update progress as snapshot of all metros in India till april 2017
Do you have s imilar post like this for 2017 recap?